FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Stop Spoiling Shadow of the Giant!

Author Topic: Stop Spoiling Shadow of the Giant!
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, some of us haven't read the book yet. I'm getting pretty annoyed at little references here and there to what happens in the book. I've tried to tune it out and refuse to let myself think about it--but still, major plot points have been spoiled! By OSC fans! How can you live with yourselves? Spoiling the reading experience of another fan!

[No No] at anybody guilty of this. [Mad]

(This was inspired by something small in another thread that might not have been a spoiler...but it was enough to REMIND me of worse infractions.)

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

???

You're mean.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
No, just fellow fanatics who got the book the day it came out and can't keep our mouths shut over it. [Wink]
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

That's fine. Talk about it. But have the decency to put spoiler tags in the threads. Not all of us have the money to buy books right now, or the time to hunt it down at the library--or maybe even read it right now.

So I should stop coming to Hatrack because you (or whoever) can't be polite enough to let me enjoy the book when I can read it? I think not. Because there are enough nice and considerate people here who make up for it. All I'm saying is, try to think about others, would ya?

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Does this mean that we shouldn't tell you about the next two books in the Ender series?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
She does have a good point. If you want to keep posting on Hatrack while avoiding references, just pick and chose threads more carefully, like I haven't finished all of crystal city yet so when i see a post even starting to reference it, I ignore it and read a different one... you just have to be selective or jump to the other side of discussions for awhile til you read the book or til we all shut up about SotG
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I try to be very selective about choosing which threads to read... I stay away from any with SOTG or Shadow of the Giant in the thread title. Sometimes, though, people have a habit of making vague titles...or something that really has nothing to do with SOTG..and there are spoilers anyway. And sometimes people comment in "safe" threads with spoilers. Argh!

TheHumanTarget: I know there are new books coming out...and yes, speculation about what's in those books usually contains spoilers. And that should be plainly marked. It's common courtesy.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right, Katarain. I hate it when people don't follow proper spoiler etiquette. It's very inconsiderate. That goes for discussing books, movies, tv shows, even video games. If you're going to post something which you think someone might consider to be a spoiler, use a clear warning.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yeah...it does apply to all that stuff. And there will probably always be something someone doesn't want to be spoiled about...so should we all leave?

I didn't think so.

-Katarain

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously we shouldn't all leave, but we should all use our best judgment.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Well, in the spirit of over-reacting, I'd like to make it mandatory that all discussions come with SPOILER tags, just in case...you know?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Miss the point much?
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I chose to ignore the point. I already made a half-hearted apology, a concilatory half-joke, and have now moved into my indifferent phase.

Stick around long enough and I may go full circle. [Smile] That's right folks....

::SPOILER::
I'm gonna put on a show.

Katarain
Member # 6659

For some reason that reminded me of Buffy.

I think it's me.

You know... I'm not actually pissed about this... I just want this thread title to be a little reminder to newbies and the forgetful.. [Smile]

-Katarain

Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Katarain is SO right. I got a Crystal City spoilet once. I see tiny spoilers all over the place. Oh yeah, and tell us what exactly is BEING spoiled...and list EVERYTHING being spoiled. I don't like seeing 'Heartfire spoiler' and then finding a crystal city spoiler as well. It makes we want to say BAD words! Like knee biter.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm tempted to state out every plot point in Sotg just to be an @ss but for the sake of human decency and the fact that this happened to me beofre I got Sotg myself thanks to Tom I shall reframe from such anti social activities and agree with Kat.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan G
Member # 7964

- posted      Profile for Jonathan G   Email Jonathan G         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, some one spoiled Shadow of the Giant for me. I did NOT need to know that <spoiler>.

[ May 19, 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

Where did you read that?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

Oh, and it would be nice to put a spoiler warning on that, by the way. [Wink]
teoivan
Member # 8049

- posted      Profile for teoivan   Email teoivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer someone to "spoil" my book rather than nothing. Most of the OSC books are not translated in bulgarian and I can't buy my self a english versions because there are too much for my poket. More over I think noone can spoil a reading of good book.
Posts: 22 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
woah <spoiler> oh wait... damn you for tricking me!

[ May 19, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Points made. Spoilers -- and humorously-intended false-spoilers -- could be indicated in some manner out of consideration for others.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.