FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Achilles and Joseph Stalin

Author Topic: Achilles and Joseph Stalin
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious if Mr. Card has ever mentioned any connections with Achilles and Stalin?

I was reading a biography of Stalin, and a major part of his life was murdering people who saw him helpless.

Just a coincidence or no?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to say it may have been a reference. I don't know for sure.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll post on this laterz.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No intended connections between Achilles and Stalin, except that they're both among the slime of the universe, in that they are willing to make anybody suffer anything at all, if they think it MIGHT make their own ambitions or desires closer to fulfilment. True evil.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remnant
Member # 8129

- posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah- in Ender's Shadow you reference something in Achilles thoughts, I believe while he was hanging upside down in the air-shaft while bean was questioning (or around there).

He thinks about the difference between a weak leader and a strong leader- that Lenin was weaker than Stalin because Stalin, even though he owed almost everything the Lenin, was willing to grab power at h is "Master's" expense.

It is clear from your writting that Achilles respects Stalin (which means a lot since that is Achilles greatest virtue is to command respect) but at the same time seeks to improve on Stalin's methodology. Stalin was smart, but not infinitely patient as Achilles.

That's why I loved Achilles. He was not good. Hardly human in some ways, more than human in others. It was sad that he felt so ashamed, so flawed, that he had to force others. He was still a bastard and deserved all he got in the end. But he is the sort of tragic evil.

But then again, the good Sister believed in change and was wrong. Is it possible Achilles isn't human? I'm talking in a Demosthenes sense here.

And that's my FAVORITE part of the series. Ender, genetically superior (in some ways) but not human is a representation in these books (the shadow series) of what humanity is. While Achilles- genetically 100% human is entirely what humanity hates (or fears at least).

Enough rantage! Thanks for making me think so much Mr. Card. For that, more than anything, I am greatful.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Have any of you seen this great movie about Stalin? He was played by Roger Duvall. I lent it to a friend but he hasn't watched it yet [Grumble] . The movie seemed very well done and was not propaganda at all it was like a speaking. He showed both his faults and his virtues with no blemishing or exageration of his actions or the motivations behind those actions. And when you get down to it and I qoute:

"Stalin is Stalin where would Russia be without Stalin!?"

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remnant
Member # 8129

- posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
Overpopulated. Those millions he killed- if they'd have propegated.
Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Overrun and occupied by Germany. Was my first thought.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.