FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Aiua

Author Topic: Aiua
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
how would you define this word coined by Orson Scott Card
Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
It is in imitation of an LDS theological concept about existance. The best definition would be "Intelligence," or the self awareness of any and all material of the Universe. The more "intelligence" something has, the more self aware. after that, the more self aware something is, the more freedom it has to make choices.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I would define it as the zero point field.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
physically, that works; but the aiua is essentially the will of a unique individual, with location but no other corporeal attributes.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

there you go, straight from the horses mouth

not that I think Mr. Card is a horse.

Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Now...how is it pronounced?

(Edited for horrid bad grammar.)

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Three syllables:
EYE
YOU
UH

With the accent on YOU.

And don't be hasty to link my ideas with Mormon doctrine. There's a syndrome among Mormon readers of my work that, having spotted a possible Mormon connection, they stop looking for anything else. So they end up seeing only a small part of what's going on.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7816

- posted      Profile for 1135813   Email 1135813         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also that tendency among atheist-gay-feminist readers of your work. I speak with authority, as I am in an early admissions program at a women's college, where everyone has read at least three books in the Enderverse, and everyone is some combination of the above three traits. The Shadow series was one long exercise in Accepting Other People's Opinions.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Mormonism is such a big part of my life that everything I read I see in a slightly Mormon light. Ender's Game happened to come along at a time when I was making a few big(ish) leaps in my thinking about God. If I hadn't read Ender's Game, I probably would have made the same changes, but the catalysts would have been different. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the pronounciation guide. I had no idea what to do with so many vowels.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I claimed the definition of what it meant by what I remember you, OSC, saying it was in imitation of. NOT that I think that there isn't more to it, as what you did was explore the possible extention of the ideas behind "Intelligence." In some ways, it might have been an unconscious exploration of how to explain how to creat a self-creation.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

whats the distinction between "aiua" and "soul"
or "aiua" and "essence"?

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no answer to that, but I really wanted my name in here.
I still pronounce it 'Iowa', however, to my deepest shame.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounced it as "Aura" since it was the closest thing I could think of since I couldn't pronouce it as anything comprehensible.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

incidentally i read it kind of like eye-ooh-ah
which, I assume is the same as what Mr. Card said:
EYE-YOU-UH

Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, this is the most fascinating piece of your universe to me, because it feels liike it could potentially explain so much about how matter seems to organize itself into bigger and more complex entities. Could you elaborate on it a little more? and the extent to which it reflects Mormon thought/teaching? It is almost enough to make me want to convert.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, this is the most fascinating piece of your universe to me, because it feels liike it could potentially explain so much about how matter seems to organize itself into bigger and more complex entities. Could you elaborate on it a little more? and the extent to which it reflects Mormon thought/teaching? It is almost enough to make me want to convert.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.