FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "Game" vs. "Shadow"

Author Topic: "Game" vs. "Shadow"
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read both Ender's series and Bean's, and while I enjoyed them both in their own ways, I don't know that they really work well as intersecting versions of the same time periods. In particular, the portions where Bean and Ender intersect seem discordant to my mind. We're to believe that Ender is a great commander and an intelligent and perceptive human being, but how could he be if he was so completely unaware of many of the events in _Ender's Shadow_? If he suggests only Alai as commander in his place, implying he completely underestimates Bean's abilities? There's no hint of the generals' machinations regarding Bean in _Game_. Phrases that are said "straight" in _Game_ are suddenly sarcastic so they make sense in the world of _Shadow_.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I liked both series. It just seemed to me that the material grafted directly to the Ender storyline was a poor match.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I figured that each book series was told from a different perspective so slight variations were merely a consequence of this. It is like two eye witness accounts of an accident.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
What johnsonweed said is true, but the most obvious reason is the one that is implyed in the books, more so in the shadow ones. Bean is smarter, period. The only reason we look upon Ender as being so much greater, is that he's more of a people person, or maybe not even that. He's just more emotional and it's easier to connect and relate to that. It also helps that he also is really smart. Just not quite as perceptive as Bean is.

Also, I have a quick question to ask any/all of you out there. Has anyone here read the Shadow series before the Ender series?

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remnant
Member # 8129

- posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think there are some strait forward, logical answers.

No commander can know everything that is going on. That isn't what makes them great. The best at that, according to the opinion of many a character, was Petra and she was hardly the best commander.

A commander must focus on the central goal. But Ender was more than a COMMANDER. He was a leader, a recruiter etc. You must remember that these things are seperate.

And he has flaws too, mind you. He treats bean, in part, as peter treated him. Maybe a BIT of Jealousy? Subconsious? Who knows- that's not this topic.

And he was right not to choose bean as a backup himself. Alai was more competent as a leader. Having the best stratedgy is not as important as having loyal, loving soliders. If Ender picked bean, they would have resented him.

I feel that Mr. Card could write a book about Alai's experience, or Petra's or anyones in battle school and get an EQUALLY unique experience of Ender and the Jeesh. Because everyone has their own strengths. Their own weaknesses. And their own slants.

AND THIS is why things appearing strait in GAME appear sarcastic etc. in Shadow. Its perception. To Ender, it was strait (even if it was sassy). To Bean it was sassy (even if it was strait).

I mean, come on! "The enemy's gate is down" was said in a sarcastic or ironic way by bean and TOO bean. But to Ender, it was percieved differently.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That was exactly what I was going to say. Only your answer was much more understandable then mine would have been.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remnant
Member # 8129

- posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't belittle yourself friend. Everyone is eloquent to someone. Thats not to say that you might be able to put to words what you meant, but in some way I'm sure you can communicate in a superiour way- maybe on Canvas. Maybe with animals or children. Each has their gift.

I'm sure you have yours.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I communicate best in groans during extreme pain. My only regret is that my personal cowardice keeps me from performing this art (at which I'm a genius) more often, or for a wider audience.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.