FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Maker Hardcovers

Author Topic: Alvin Maker Hardcovers
Stonedog
Member # 8178

- posted      Profile for Stonedog           Edit/Delete Post 
All-

I just recieved my signed copy of The Crystal City...

I am now wanting the other 5 books in hardcover...any chance they will be reissued in Hardcover?

Thanks

Stonedog

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful. The sale at hatrack is what's known as remaindered books. These are hardback books that are printed but not sold. Bookstores sell them at reduced prices, or they are returned to the publisher.

Of course, that's not exactly how it works, but close enough.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Seventh Son is definitely impossible to find except used. Some dealers still have new or newish copies of the others.

A lot depends on how we release Master Alvin - after I write it, of course. If MA is very, very long - as it might well be - it's possible the other six books will all be brought in a single omnibus hardcover that sells for a million bucks. OK, $50. They'll only print twelve copies, though. New trade editions designed to sell to large numbers of people probably won't happen.

But ... you never know what will seem financially feasible. For instance, Magic Street may shock everybody by selling like crazy, making my stock rise and the value of all my other books improve. Who knows? Or my career might end tomorrow afternoon, because somebody misreads something in my review column and the whole world boycotts me because of it. Only fools try to predict future sales <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Or my career might end tomorrow afternoon, because somebody misreads something in my review column and the whole world boycotts me because of it.

It's never too late to become the first bestselling author to popularize the use of smilies in print. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Smilies need no help from me. I started posting online back when we indicated emotions between <>. <grin>. And I'm not changing just because people started :)ing and ;)ing and then adding those yellow feces ... pardon me, faces ... to online postings.

OK, I admit it, I tried using them but I could never figure out what they meant. So shoot me.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
W00t! I'm not the only one who hates smilies!

Our numbers are growing... soon, we will rule the world, and the only little yellow faces you ever see will be eating pellets and chasing ghosts!

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Never in my internet career (now spanning more than a decade) have I ever used a smiley. I figure if you can't tell where I'm joking and where I'm serious then you are a dill-hole.

(Joking)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorDevice
Member # 8137

- posted      Profile for DoctorDevice           Edit/Delete Post 
"the only little yellow faces you ever see will be eating pellets and chasing ghosts! "

you are alluding to something but i dont know what.....................

Im not a big fan of using smileys but its fun to use one once in a while.

For instance...this one reminds me of myself: [Wall Bash]

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorDevice
Member # 8137

- posted      Profile for DoctorDevice           Edit/Delete Post 
talk about getting off topic
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorDevice:
"the only little yellow faces you ever see will be eating pellets and chasing ghosts! "

you are alluding to something but i dont know what.....................

Pac-man
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
A lot depends on how we release Master Alvin - after I write it, of course. If MA is very, very long - as it might well be

So, wait a second....you haven't even started writing it yet?

Let's go, man! Gotta do it before Seventh Son hits the big 2-0.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep an eye out on Ebay. Though probably not considered collectible, I found the first 3 novels in one hardback book, and the next 2 in a 2nd.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I got all Five of the Alvin hardcovers (excluding Crystal City) on ebay for $16 including shipping. I thought that was a steal. Prentice Alvin is the only one not in great condition
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.