FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Thanks Hatrack and OSC! A Key Turning....Now Online!

Author Topic: Thanks Hatrack and OSC! A Key Turning....Now Online!
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've rejoiced on two other forums here, so I'll post here as well. I got the call today that my short story "A Key Turning" won first place in the annual contest held by the local paper. There was a 3k word limit, and 1st place pays $250. They will print the story in its entirety sometime in August. There were 60 submissions this year, and the editor who called had some very encouraging words for me. I am ecstatic. This story first saw the light of day in the 'writer's forum' here at Hatrack. It is also my first sale.

I feel like I am giving an awards speech and my wife has already said "you're talking like you are a big time writer now". I don't care. I'm too overjoyed.

One thing I would like to say, in all seriousness, is how much I appreciate this site. I don't know if I would have even placed if I hadn't had it critiqued in the workshop first. The final draft was very different from the first. Also, I used a technique that OSC mentioned in a preface in his MIAM collection. He said that when something is represented by a physical object in a story, that the word itself should never appear. I used a lock (a seabag lock passed from a father to his son) to represent forgiveness. I never use the word 'forgiveness' or any form of 'forgive' in the story, but that's what the story wound up being about. I think this made the story much more powerful. Now let me go see if I can get some sleep.

A Key Turning

[ August 22, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Crotalus ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!!! Congratulations!
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Crogratulations Crotalus! That is totally awsome!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! That is really great!!!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratualtions, Crotalus! [Hat]
A first sale is a big deal. Beating out 60 other entries is great!
Many famous authors had their first sale in a writing contest.
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
...I used a technique that OSC mentioned in a preface in his MIAM collection. He said that when something is represented by a physical object in a story, that the word itself should never appear. I used a lock (a seabag lock passed from a father to his son) to represent forgiveness. I never use the word 'forgiveness' or any form of 'forgive' in the story, but that's what the story wound up being about.

Hmmm, this is very interesting writing advice. Makes sense, I have to think about it.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work!
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure and tell us which paper, and when it's published... I'm sure a bunch of us would be interested in reading it!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feiwaltan
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Feiwaltan   Email Feiwaltan         Edit/Delete Post 
Crotalus you have every right to rejoice about your little victory, i hope to attian that vary same victory. and the tip from OSC, will definately help me out thanks for posting it.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Crotalus!
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. It's terrific to have people read your story and care about it and even pay you for it. Nothing small about that!

As for the idea that you should avoid saying the word if you have something symbolically representing it in the story: That came from Francois Camoin, one of the best writing teachers I've known or heard of. He was critiquing my story "Eumenides in the First Floor Lavatory," and since the word "Eumenides" in the title clearly identified the little monsters in the story as Furies, those who torment the guilty (which means that they ARE guilt), he suggested I remove the word guilt and never, ever have the character feel guilt or think about guilt - since guilt was what he kept seeing whenever the baby showed up.

It was great advice; I took it; and now someone else takes it and benefits yet again. Thanks, Francois! (By the way, Francois is the "mad Frenchman" referred to in "Prior Restraint"; "Doc" in that story is Doc Murdock, who teaches, writes, and leads writing workshops in California.)

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Now I am complete. My favorite author has congratulated me on my first sale. Where else but on Hatrack could that happen?

I said this somewhere else, but I met Mr. Card at a book signing/library-promote-reading thing a few years ago. When I asked him to sign my copy of "HtwF&SF" he asked, "Are you a writer?" To which I gave my standard reply "I've got the rejection slips to prove it." To which he said "Good. Most people just dream about it."

And, though I'm sure it's a standard line for that book, he signed my copy "To a fellow Taleswapper." Now I feel like it is actually the truth.

Another thing: Although 'Prior Restraint' reads like early Card, it is still one of my favorites. [Wink]

And since I'm finally getting paid and published I've come to think that pigs really do have wings.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Bump!

They posted it online today. Sooo, here's a free story.

(You have to scroll past two articles, but it's in there, I promise.)
A Key Turning

MoralDK
Member # 8395

- posted      Profile for MoralDK   Email MoralDK         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Crotalus!
I look forward to reading it. And the next one. =]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read A Key Turning and I really liked it. Congrats on the award, Crotalus. It was well deserved.

You've done something that I've dreamt about for far too long. I really need to get going on it. Thanks for reminding me.

I can't wait to read your next story!

DF2506
" I really need to start working on my own stories more. I have so many I want to tell."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
grats, almost made me reminence about when back in Everquest someone would shout "Ding! lvl X" And everyone else would say grats or congrats etc.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.