FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Contradictions? Big deal...

Author Topic: Contradictions? Big deal...
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen several posts complaining about the little things that weren't just right between the books in the Ender and Shadow series. Here's what I have to say about THAT.

In OSC's introduction to Ender's Game, he said he read the Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. Therefore, after finishing up with Ender and Bean series, I moved on the Asimov's Foundation books--and the other ten books he wrote in the same universe.

Here is a quote from the FAQ page (http://www.asimovonline.com/asimov_FAQ.html) on Asimov's official website. "The whole Foundation series is rife with contradictions...Asimov simply didn't enjoy sweating over details in his fiction."

If the Grand Master had some discrepancies in his writing, why can't Orson? By the way, Mr. Card, I've noticed lots of similarities between Asimov's writing and your own. Do you consciously use any of his ideas?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean writing styles?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
Numerical differences (i.e. saying there were dozens of something and then saying there were only ten later on).
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to think that I ever achieve the clarity and fluidity of Asimov's style; of course, in a perfect contradiction, I'd also love to think that my style is ever as lyrical as Bradbury's. But I don't ever consciously imitate anybody's style. Usually I search for the voice of the character, or adopt a voice that seems right for the narrator.

And I don't try to imitate anybody, though I will do tip of the hat things from time to time, like having Alvin dream the plot of Lord of the Rings in Journeyman.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
it can sometimes be geeky fun to notice inconsistencies and maybe think up reasons that explain them and stuff.
Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.