FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Asking for permission for a personal project.

Author Topic: Asking for permission for a personal project.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card;

I am writing a novel, and I plan on putting a small line in one of the passages about the protagonist. She is reading a book on her way to Earth, and I want that book to be Ender's Game.

Now, I'm not sure how this works, since I am an extreme novice. I have no published works, or works at all, for that matter. This is my first undertaking. Basically, I would like the passage to read something to the effect of:

In route to Earth, Den was re-reading a book by one of the late 20th's greatest authors.
"I can't even count how many times I've read Ender's Game, I love this book."
She hadn't noticed that she said this out loud, and had attracted the attention of a passenger in the next row"

Anyway, I would like it to read something like that, and I was wondering if I could have your permission to do this. I don't ever plan on even trying to publish this, as I doubt I'll get it done in the next few millenia. I just don't want to do something without permission, so here is my request.

May I use your name, and the name of your book in my story? If this is unacceptable, I completely understand.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's rather nice of you. You don't even need his permission, as I understand it. [Smile] But the fact that you'd ask is really wonderful.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you don't need permission. Go for it [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be amused if Mr. Card had responded, not by answering your question, but by improving the quality of the excerpt you showed.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

You know, it's funny.. I looked back at my post, and I didn't remember typing a request for any rude comments with attempted (and failed) sarcasm on what I wrote.

That's most likely because I didn't.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Simmer down Bee. It was funny. And i dont think it was failed sarcasm. But you don't have to flame him for being funny
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Oh alright. I'll flame him for being an ass then. Better? Thanks.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really uncalled for, Punjabee. Which is more hurtful -- his trying to be funny and maybe falling short, or your trying to be mean and succeeding?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
The morals in this thread are pretty frighteningly skewed. Gosu WAS being an ass. The guy just took an open jab at the Punjabee's writing, and Punjabee is the bad guy when he gets a bit defensive? I probably would've told Gosu to go climb into an exhaust pipe, so I guess it's a good thing it wasn't me, eh?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
haha, punjabee, not laughing what you said but your name. Me and my friends have an inside joke with the name punjabbe. But as i see it, no permission is needed. It's just a school papper, the copy right police arn't going to beat you up for it.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I took Gosu's comments not as an attack on Punjabee but rather as a compliment to OSC.

However, I can see how you might perceive it that way.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
people these days are so hostile...
Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My concern wasn't with Punjabee being defensive. Mine was with Punjabee being offensive.

I think Gosu's post was ill-advised, but I didn't think it mean-spirited. And I think Punjabee's first reply, while harsher than I might have been (not necessarily, though, depending on my mood), was a reasonable reponse to an unkind comment. I thought the second, more harsh comment to Gosu based on a comment [i]from someone else[i/] was unnecessary.

I hope it's clear I hold no ill will toward anyone on this thread.

Well, maybe Tom.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Disgruntled Postman:

Actually it's not a school paper, heh. I've been out of school for some time.

edit: Oops. Forgot to mention: thanks to those who answered my question on here, specifically kacard.

Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
PUNJABEE: If it's not being published then I don't see why you would need permission, especially if you're saying right then and there who wrote the book it's from.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

Oh my God.

People, I was NOT trying to be offensive at all. It was a joke. And I was not criticizing Punjabee's writing in any form whatsoever.

Punjabee, I'm sorry if my post seemed offensive; I had no intention of it seeming so.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

But I mean, come on, is the image of what I said not funny?

Imagine if I came up to OSC and asked him the question Punjabee asked. I sit down with him and say,

Me: O.K. well the part where I was going to use the book title was this...
OSC: Now wait a second, you're going to have to work on your characterization here. Or at least some plot.
Me: There are no characters or plot involved here.
OSC: That's the problem.
Me: Don't worry, there'll be plenty of that stuff readers react to at an emotional level. You know, the screaming, crying, laughing.
OSC: We're not writing error messages for Microsoft here.
Me: No, sir.
OSC: Good, because only they can plan so exactly for the emotions their readers will have.

Etc.

By the way, if you're serious about writing your going to have to take some harsh criticism--stuff far worse than what you might have interpreted my post to be. This I am not joking about.

Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if you had said THAT, then it WOULD have been funny. I actually laughed at that. But the original post gave off a very strong "the writing sucks, so maybe you should be asking for more important things, you simpleton" sort of vibe. It was the words "improve" and "quality" used in the way they were, I think.

But it's cool, you've redeemed yourself with that little dialogue.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
It really didn't seem like PUNJABEE was asking for any writing help at all...it was a simple question requiring a simple answer....no need for rude jabs...i mean constructive criticism maybe but just being rude...?
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read, "I would be amused if Mr. Card had responded, not by answering your question, but by improving the quality of the excerpt you showed," my thought was: wouldn't that be great? Free critique from a master writer and critiquer, who runs an annual seminar for aspiring writers, a seminar that gets rave reviews.

Many of us here are writers, I think, and the idea that our words might need improvement is all too familiar! Sorry Punjabee's feelings were hurt. Let's just do a reboot on this thread, in terms of offense.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me: Don't worry, there'll be plenty of that stuff readers react to at an emotional level. You know, the screaming, crying, laughing.
OSC: We're not writing error messages for Microsoft here.
Me: No, sir.

Now, THAT was funny.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No permission is needed for this kind of thing. Allusions are fair game for anyone. And, of course, I'm flattered to death. (What a lovely way to go.)

Meanwhile, we do try on Hatrack to assume that everybody means everything in the nicest possible way.

This is why I haven't already killed myself over some of the things people say about ME here ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Gosu:
Oh my God.

People, I was NOT trying to be offensive at all. It was a joke. And I was not criticizing Punjabee's writing in any form whatsoever.

Punjabee, I'm sorry if my post seemed offensive; I had no intention of it seeming so.

Accepted. Sorry I flew off the handle, I just thought you were trying to be rude.

Mr. Card, thanks for the OK, even though it was apparently not needed. Maybe if I ever finish it I'll post it somewhere so people can read it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.