FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I Just Bought Magic Street!

Author Topic: I Just Bought Magic Street!
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
Now finally I can go past those first five chapters! Thank goodness summer school hasn't started for me yet, no distractions- can't wait to read it all.

The book has a really cool cover when you finally see it, (definetly worth the hard cover price) and OSC has his picture in the back.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at it longingly in the indie bookstore within walking distance. I didn't buy it and was proud of myself. If I wait a couple of more days it will be in for me at the library. I'll buy it within a month (probably at that bookstore if I get good credit for my used books at home) since OSC is coming to Cambridge and I want my copy scribbled on.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently come into a bit of extra cash so I am re-instituting my "buy a hardback book by Orson Scott Card for a bunch of people who can't afford one" project.

So the first 10 people who email me with a mailing address will get a hardback copy of Magic Street shipped to them directly from Amazon.com.

Tom Davidson and other old-timers here can vouch for me.

John Hansen
JohnBinder@aol.com or afanofosc@comcast.net

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed! What a good Samaritan you are, whether I get a book or not I laud you for your kindness.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, blast... I thought it might also be coming out in paperback, but apparently not yet.

This leaves me with two options:

1) Wait for the paperback version, which will be months, or...

2) Purchase the hard-bound version, which will not come anywhere near to matching all of my other Card books, all of which are paperback, thus forcing me to get hard-bound versions of everything else as well. This will be a mighty quest, plagued by hard-to-find out-of-print editions, but I shall not stop, shall not sleep or even eat until the books are found! For that is my quest! To follow that star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far! To fight for the right, without question or pause! To be willing to march into --

Er... ahh, sorry.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHansen:
I've recently come into a bit of extra cash so I am re-instituting my "buy a hardback book by Orson Scott Card for a bunch of people who can't afford one" project.

So the first 10 people who email me with a mailing address will get a hardback copy of Magic Street shipped to them directly from Amazon.com.

Tom Davidson and other old-timers here can vouch for me.

John Hansen

*applauds*
*vouches*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2) Purchase the hard-bound version, which will not come anywhere near to matching all of my other Card books, all of which are paperback, thus forcing me to get hard-bound versions of everything else as well. This will be a mighty quest, plagued by hard-to-find out-of-print editions, but I shall not stop, shall not sleep or even eat until the books are found! For that is my quest! To follow that star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far! To fight for the right, without question or pause! To be willing to march into --

Er... ahh, sorry.

It's doable, but trust me, it's quite a quest to take on. :-)
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bekenn:

2) This will be a mighty quest, plagued by hard-to-find out-of-print editions, but I shall not stop, shall not sleep or even eat until the books are found!

Don't forget the limited editions, numbered and signed by the author.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably too late but I emailed anyway. Regardless though, many thanks to JohnHansen for doing this for people [Big Grin]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

Only 5 books have been claimed so far. Go ahead and drop me a line if you could use a free copy of Magic Street. I may splurge a bit and go beyond 10. :-)

John Hansen

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
What also makes the hard cover worth having (yea to John) is that it will have OSC's signature, he's going to be in my home town for several days thank's to Comic-Con!...the BEST convention ever, if you're into comics/movies/video games/science fiction (duh), it's awesome.

Maybe the book will end up as something of interest for future generations just like the way I look at my great grandparents delicate old books that even smell like the 19th century.

There's just something intriguing about 100+ year old books.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with option 2 is that I already have the vast majority of the OSC books that are actually out there in paperback. I'd have to sell 'em or give them away, whichever will get them the best new home....

Too big a project. Maybe I could just get a library card instead and read the hardcover that way, then purchase the soft cover when it finally comes out.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Von
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Von   Email Von         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a good man! [The Wave]
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read the book yet?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

I've given out my 10 copies. My apologies if you emailed but didn't make the cut.

Thanks to Scott Card for writing such a great book. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

John Hansen

VW
Member # 8305

- posted      Profile for VW   Email VW         Edit/Delete Post 
For those geeks out there, eReader.com has Magic Street on sale for $9.95 if you own a PDA. Thats where I prefer to do my reading.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
My immeasurable thanks to John for his generous offer. I appreciate the gift you're willing to give.

Thanks. A lot.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Walker:
Has anyone read the book yet?

I just got back from vacation and I'm surprised there aren't a zillion threads on it yet. I haven't checked the other side though. I finished it in about three days (the beauty of being in the middle of the woods with nothing I have to do for a week). It's amazing! Highly recommended! I want to know what happens next. [Wink]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, John. Is supporting my family now your personal project? You are generous beyond belief.

The truth is, I wish I simply had a guaranteed income and could GIVE my books away. Like most writers I know (even the ones who claim otherwise) what we want are people who think our stories are cool; the money's just an extra. READERS, not buyers. For proof: Poets!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.