FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC, what have you done to me?!?!? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC, what have you done to me?!?!?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rivka, for example, dresses attractively, while maintaining her headcovering, and other requirements that Orthodox Judaism mandates.

Thanks. [Smile]

quote:
Good appearances are a part of this corporeal world. You can drop out (hence the denim jumper), join a different world (Orthodox Jewish community) . . .
Er, good appearances are important within the JO community as well. The guidelines may differ, but attractive (and in a business setting, professional) clothing is important in this "other world" you speak of as well.

Additionally, the majority of JO work in non-JO environments. Living in an entirely other world is not an option for many.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good appearances are a part of this corporeal world. You can drop out (hence the denim jumper), join a different world (Orthodox Jewish community), try to "win" (get the most attention by flaunting what you have), or else figure out who are you and what you are as a package, and dress as appropriate
I am an Orthodox Jew, but I am not cloistered, and I don't live in another world. The town where I live is very diverse -- Orthodox Jews are present in fair numbers, but we are just part of the mix of Catholics, Protestants, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, and probably a bunch of others that I'm not thinking of right now (welcome to New Jersey!)

In the office where I work, there is one other Orthodox Jew, but we work in different areas and don't interact all that much. I shop at the mall, the supermarket, and <sorry> Wal-Mart. I interact with people from all backgrounds in my work (I'm a home care nurse), and I must be open minded and respectful of the different cultures and beliefs that they represent.

Just because Orthodox (actually, I prefer the term "observant") Jews seem exotic to you, doesn't mean that we are in a different world than you are. One world, many people, many cultures, many beliefs. We are all just folk.

Sorry for the preachiness. I just wanted to make clear why your assumption doesn't apply to me (or to the other observant Jews that I know).

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you are exotic. However, I do think your standard of dress is different from the world at large. Is that wrong?

Added: Someone posted at Hatrack once, and I agree with it, that worlds and cultures haven't truly mingled until they intermarry. That's what I meant. Don't be offended.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Katie, Mormon standard of dress is also different from the world at large. So?

And sadly, there is a not-unmeasurable rate of intermarriage in the JO community as well.

For the record, I'm not offended. I just disagree with your definitions.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a large university filled with scantily-dressed women, or at least it feels that way. It's the fashion of the day, so I have to sit through it. I find that the most alluring women on campus are the ones who wear more than average.

There was a rather attractive woman I sat near in my African History class last semester who always wore long pants and a large-ish sweater. She always say next to another woman who would always wear small-ish pants and a small-ish top who was completely uninteresting.

Maybe because the first young woman looked Turkish or Middle Eastern, which is something I have an unwavering attraction to. But I can't say that how she dressed didn't enter into it.

Rivka: Is there something wrong with intermarriage in the Jewish Orthodox community?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The saddest thing of all is that only a handful of women usually look at all good wearing immodest clothing. Most look appallingly bad.
Once, while leaving a restaurant, I saw a woman (I think she was about eighteen) wearing one of those midriff-baring shirts. This would not have been unusual in itself, but she was also holding an infant that she had (from the appearance of the aforementioned midriff) obviously given birth to herself, within the past few days. She looked like she had a semi-deflated balloon hanging over the top of her pants. [Eek!]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.