FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Another EG (Continued) Worthing Saga

Author Topic: Another EG (Continued) Worthing Saga
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
"If there were readers of the Worthing Saga other than those on this thread, a sequel might be commercially viable ..." Orson Scott Card
He said that when people asked if there would ever be a sequel.

I took all your advice and i am about three quarters of the way through saga. This book has been amazing, totally different from Enders Game but has the same power to pull you in that EG does.

As for the quote above i was searching through some threads and found that comment from OSC. Unless i didnt go deep enough into the threads i dont think OSC has any idea that The WOrthing Saga is probably at the top of every OSC fan who has read it.
So i ask why not a sequel?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Again I say: It is virtually unknown.

Also, it is finished. I honestly can't think of a single additional thing to say AFTER the contents of Worthing Chronicle. Done. Finito.

But I am thrilled that there is one more person who has actually read it and liked it. I'm not sure, but that may have brought us into triple digits.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find a copy of it anywhere. I'm sure I'd love it, but I haven't read it because the bookstores I frequent are stupid.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, Scott, that reading Worthing Saga was a life-changing experience for me. It was shortly after the birth of my daughter, after having had a miscarriage previously. The section where they are all going through the desert and the children were dying . . . the futility of it all and the almost emotionless reaction of the parents because they were so drained . . . I literally wept off and on for three days. Talk about resonance!

So, add me very emphatically to the list of WS lovers.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card that was the first time you ever commented me back. You have made my night. Thank you.

As for a sequel im sure you could pull it off, but i understand that it would take to much time to do it, connecting the stories and what not.
But i will always be looking for it. A kid can dream cant he. lol

-EWSUA-

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it. Then I bought it. Every now and then I read it again.

There are a couple of times in my life when I chose a harder path than I could have, wading against the stream of peer pressure or parental pressure to forge my own way. It's the reason so much of that book resonates with me.

Before my wedding I identified with Lared; the son who loved his father but had no desire to do his father's work in the world. But Lared's rite of passage rang *so* true.

And after my children were born Hoom's sacrifice rang like a two-ton bell in my soul.

And Justice's agony. Oh, man.

You're *good* at that sort of storytelling, Orson. I don't want more of Capitol or Worthing, but more of those kinds of stories, absolutely. One day I'll hand the dog-eared paperback to each of my kids, (close to their majority, of course), in turn, and tell them it's required reading.

I'm actually kind of surprised more people don't love that book.

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sleeper hit.

I've only read it once so far, and it's past time I changed that.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Worthing Saga too. In fact, I even went back and read the extra stories in Capitol just to see what they added to the world!

I also bought Hot Sleep used just to see how it differs from Worthing Chronicle, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. (I plan to read both in parallel, switching back and forth each page or so, which I have done with Treason and A Planet Called Treason---I was pleasantly surprised at how many good parts from the later one were in the earlier one!)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Better than Enders Game, Worthing Saga was incredible
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffers0n
Member # 7876

- posted      Profile for Jeffers0n   Email Jeffers0n         Edit/Delete Post 
Add one more to the count of people who enjoyed Worthing Saga. I've read it a couple of times and I think it's a great book. Personally I don't see any room for a sequel. It would be like taking a trip to McDonalds after Thanksgiving dinner.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EternalKnight
Member # 8264

- posted      Profile for EternalKnight   Email EternalKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing Saga (and the universe it is centered around) is one of my all-time-favorites. That said, I am not entirely surprised that it was not a wide-spread hit. It wasn't tied to a series and it was quite long.

Worthing Saga is probably my #2 all time favorite, coming in VERY close behind Ender's Game. Even then, Worthing Saga is my most re-read book of all time.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Best book I've read by OSC after Speaker and EG. I really need to read it again. I remember it being powerful.

And I love the line about Abner Doon being the devil. For some reason that line has stuck with me and gives me a chuckle from time to time, especially when I feel like I'm causing all kinds of problems even though I mean well.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Worthing Saga and I loved it. I gotta side with Card on this one, there is nowhere for the story to go. Part of the charm of WS is in the fact that it's one book. In a sci-fi world of nothing but 4 - 10 book series it's nice to be able to have a great storyline encapsulated in a single novel.

I'm all in favor of a re-release or something to get more ppl exposed to it, but a sequal.....no thanks.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
This is very encouraging, of course; thank you for expressing such warm regard for the story cycle that began my career. I have fond memories of the Forest of Waters and of Capitol (which owes a bit to Asimov's Trantor, of course).

Maybe I'll reread it. No sequels, but there are a couple of stories I "know" that are set in that universe, and perhaps I should write them.

Much more likely, however, is that I'll write a novel set in the same world as Sandmagic. <grin>

OMEGA M.: You won't get much out of trying a parallel reading of Hot Sleep and Worthing Chronicle. Treason really was merely rewritten (at first) or edited (most of the book), and you can find a chapter-by-chapter, and then sentence-by-sentence correspondence.

Worthing Chronicle, however, was a page-one rewrite: Different POV, different timeflow, many new characters, etc. Page for page, chapter for chapter, they have NOTHING to do with each other <grin>. But have fun!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.