FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Semi-serious, semi-silly question for card

Author Topic: Semi-serious, semi-silly question for card
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
If like with Jedi, if someone lists there religon as speaker for the dead, does that kind of make you a cult leader? And how would you actually feel should one day, something like that happen?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossible, in my opinion, that that hasn't happened. I know too many fanboys. Some over on the B5 newsgroups consider themselves "Foundationist" (one of the fictional human religions in the story) and I've seen them argue its themes as though they were premises of a belief system.

Although, Card's stories, especially "Investment Counselor", make it clear that Speaking is not a religion. But it wouldn't be beyond the capability of a fan to discard that sort of thing altogether.

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually thinking along these lines a few days ago

when oddly enough
I was at a funeral

now I'm not one to be an out of control fanboy

but I would be very enthused
if speaking was in practice

I know that personally
I would much rather have someone "speak" at my funeral
someone who wasn't tied to any one religion
but much like Ender
spoke for anyone and everyone if they wanted it
ragardless of how good or bad their life was

and that's another thing
I'd much rather have someone speak about all my mistakes as equal to my successes
instead of just having a bunch of people lie about how good I was

I dunno
it might be an idea
anyone else got an idea on this?

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I want people to talk about how good I was and not be lying. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

- posted      Profile for ElaRibeira   Email ElaRibeira         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'd definitely be pro-speaking, not as a religion or in place of a religion, but just as a practice at funerals. I think the greatest gift anyone could give to the dead would be to let others see them as they saw themselves, without any old misconceptions (be they for the better or the worse).

But of course, Icarus has a good point. [Smile]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
it would be more of a cultural custom not a religion theres not enough cannon for it to become a religion unless Mr Card wrote the Hive Queen and the Hegemon as sacred tomes plus excepts from his other works then we'ld get a religion that everyone would gladly pay money to be scamed out of kinda like Scientology oops I spoke too much.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
actually sid reminded me of an old thought I had once

Mr. Card
sir

would you ever consider actually writing
the hive queen and the hegemon

I mean making real books
as if written by Ender's hands

us fanboys would eat that right up

just an idea...

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, OSC has already explained that he can't write the Hive Queen and the Hegemon because they're described as books that were so incredible that they transformed the entire world, so anyone who read the books and didn't find them to "measure up" would be disappointed.

OSC doesn't need my approval, of course, [Smile] but I agree with him on this point 100% - even though I think he is, in fact, an incredible and powerful writer. But when you're talking about books that had such an impact worldwide, it's kinda presumptuous to try to write the actual content of those books, and there's just no way that most people will actually find them convincing enough.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Case in point: Eddings' Rivan Codex. Amusing though the Belgariad and Mallorean were, Rivan Codex was incredibly irritating and unnecessary. To me it was, anyway.

Granted, anything written by Ender would be coherent and intelligent, but it's still probably best to leave it to the imagination.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

I do agree

...it'd still be very cool

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer it left to the imagineation because since if they were made it would turn into a cult just mark my words.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.