FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mormonism = Scientology???

Author Topic: Mormonism = Scientology???
ponzi
Member # 8346

- posted      Profile for ponzi   Email ponzi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey card,

This is a serious question, please don't be offended. I have been watching tv lately, and this thing with scientology with cruise and holmes, and people are saying that it's a branch of mormonisum and that's it's like a cult or something? That there are two sci-fi writers that are world known scientologists, hubbard and you. is that true at all? Could you describe the difference between scientology and mormonisum, please? Are you either? Thanks for clarriying

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Card is not a Sceintologist. He can't be. He's not jumping up and down on Lenno's couch, cursing out Brooke Shields, making movies from Hubbard's books, or sueing everyone that talks about the "religion."

Is he? [Big Grin]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dearie, dearie me. This is not a good first post.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with it. He heard something, and wants to find out if it's true. He asked in a respectul manner. If only all people could be so respectuful when dealing with that which is important to others.

There is no connection between Scientology and Mormonism.

Card is Mormon, or to be more precise, he is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (as am I).

I don't know much about Scientology, so I can't really compare/contrast it with my religion.

If you are really interested in learning more about Mormonism, you can find out more straight from the horse's mouth at http://www.mormon.org/.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be curious to know what news outlets (?) got it so wrong, and how to contact them.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That is pretty bizarre. I've heard a lot of false information about us Mormons before, but never this one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ponzi

Visit here
Operation Clambake

While it's certainly not an unbiased take on Scientology, it should do much to explain to you how Scientology has little to do with the Latter Day Saints.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's nothing wrong with it. He heard something, and wants to find out if it's true. He asked in a respectul manner.
Somehow, starting your post with "Hey *person's last name*" doesn't scream "respectful" to me.

I don't think OSC will be offended, because I don't think the poster meant to be rude, but I wouldn't go defending the "respectful" nature of the post.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert on either, but I've done a fair bit of reading on Scientology (I strongly recommend A Piece of Blue Sky), and who can help pick up some Mormon theology after over two years at Hatrack? [Wink]

I can come up with four things in common: related in some way to a well-known science fiction author; often referred to by the media (and others) as a cult; several highly-visible celebrity members; large amounts in money flowing in to a central authority.

Considering many or all of those can be said about several other religions . . . well, my initial reaction to the OP was laughter.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ponzi:
this thing with scientology with cruise and holmes, and people are saying that it's a branch of mormonisum and that's it's like a cult or something?

-- ElRon was never a Mormon.
-- Scientology was formed in the mid-20th Century. "Mormonism" rose in the early 19th.
-- At no point in any piece of Mormon scripture or literature have I ever seen the word "thetan"
-- The metaphysics between the two are not even closely related.

I could make a longer list (and maybe get into the last one a bit more), but I'm sort of hoping that those items are enough to underscore the absurdity of the claim.

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
More to the point, I think, is that "Mormonism", LDS, is a branch of Christianity, while Scientology is not. Thus Mormons have a lot more in common with Catholics and Lutherans than any of them with Scientologists.

Heck, Mormons have more in common with Jews and Muslims than they have with Scientologists, in that Scientology isn't a branch of any of the Abrahamic religions.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that mormonism wasn't invented by a science fiction writer.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, but I have seen some anti-mormons who would argue that point [Razz]

[ July 11, 2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ponzi:
Hey card,

This is a serious question, please don't be offended. I have been watching tv lately, and this thing with scientology with cruise and holmes, and people are saying that it's a branch of mormonisum and that's it's like a cult or something? That there are two sci-fi writers that are world known scientologists, hubbard and you. is that true at all? Could you describe the difference between scientology and mormonisum, please? Are you either? Thanks for clarriying

I'd like to see Ponzi name one person on TV who is saying that scientology is "a branch of mormonisum [sic]". It (scientology) is, indeed, "like a cult". I'd like to see Ponzi name one person on TV who has said that both Hubbard and Card are "world known scientologists". It is not true at all. I'm sure that OSC could describe some of the differences between scientology and Mormonism. In short, there are no similarities at all so everything about either of them is a difference. He is a Mormon.

John Hansen

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Very true, but I have seen some anti-mormons who would argue that point [Razz]
I don't see how anybody could argue that point. Fantasy, I could see that argued. But science fiction? Nope.

So, to sum up, [Razz] .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.