FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » everyone has concerns

Author Topic: everyone has concerns
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally i cant wait for the EG movie to come out just like everyone else. But everyone is so concered about the children and the fight scenes. I honestly am not worried about this. If OSC has anything to do with the movie (which he is) than we all have nothing to worry about. He has a vision and i know he wont settle for anything else.

Even though EG is YA book i believe it could work as an R-rated movie. It might not be as commercially popular as a G or PG-13 rated movie but it would be a very real story istead of a childrens movie. So many people have read this book and hold it sacred to them. Im sure they would be disapointed if it ended up as a childrens movie. I think in order to adapt EG from book to movie it would have to R-rated.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree. To hold true to the book there would be swearing, fighting, and killing so it would have to R-rated.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libo
Member # 8068

- posted      Profile for Libo   Email Libo         Edit/Delete Post 
it would tie in nicer to the sequels which are more "adult oriented"
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think PG-13 would be the sweet spot. Certainly, I know that Card wouldn't want to alienate his LDS fans, despite how they may disagree about whether or not watching R-rated movies is inherently bad, but also I believe that all of the important elements can be contained in a PG-13 movie. There's a lot you can do with a PG-13 rating without crossing the line into R territory.

None of the swearing that I remember would be enough to give the movie an R rating, and fighting and killing don't necessarily have to be vomit-inducingly hideous to be effective.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would be stupid enough to film a movie that will get it's best audience from repeated viewings by 14-year-old boys and make it worthy of an R? -- Oh yeah, Star Ship Troopers [Smile] But Scott's producers will do no such thing. They are very smart.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
about the movie, i heard that they are going to increase the age of the kids in it, so that they can get some decent child actors. this seems like a good idea, but it could be risky, because part of the reason ender's game is sucha great story is because it deals with such young kids (something we all know, and im just stating)

someone is one of the topics about this idea posted that instead of getting older actors to play the parts, why not get a bunch of *real* young genius children, put them through acting 101 (they should be able to understand if they rally are geniuses), and then voila. doing this would also perhaps add some realism to the acting, as they would identify with the actual characters in the books more (being geniuses themselves).. is this a crazy idea? because to me, it sounds just crazy enough to work!

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... I believe Mr. Card has already stated that the kids will be young enough to fit the ages in the books. I don't know if they have casted for "young-looking kids" or kids of that age, but I'm sure that they will do fine.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who would be stupid enough to film a movie that will get it's best audience from repeated viewings by 14-year-old boys and make it worthy of an R?
I may give those 14-year-old boys a bit of competition!

*can't wait*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has made it clear that they will be young, i.e. not teenagers, but probably older than what the book says.
Just to make the logistics a little easier, they'll tell the story in a condensed timeframe. So the kids may be 10 at the start of the movie, and you can cast young looking 12 year olds.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

What do you think of Freddie Highmore? I'm so in love with that little guy right now. Which character would he be perfect for? Hmmmmmmm?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd almost say Bean, but he's definately too big.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Couldn't they do the voodoo that they do, to make him appear smaller and younger, for awhile?

He's so amazing.

Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Ender's Game could be still adult oriented even if it was PG-13. Although I might be bias due to the fact I would have to sneak in to see it if it were R.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
For a movie to be commercially viable, it has to be PG or PG-13.

Star Wars Ep. III was PG-13, that's a good benchmark for what you can get away with in a PG-13 movie.

For a studio to dump 100 mill on a picture, they expect a return on investment that an R-rated picture just can't provide. Nor can anime, as was suggested a month or so ago.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
this wouldnt work, because you need rael life actors for it, but have any of you seen waking life? that animation was wiked.. and very adult. as for the pg-13 thing.. isnt there some intermediate between pg-13 and R, like maybe a pg-17 or something.. i dunno.. in any case, i dont think it would be much a problem to make the movie pg-13 without losing anything
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

Why the EG movie shouldn't be R-rated

*It will prohibit most of the young adult audience for Ender's Game. Considering that is one of the main reading audiences for the book and the group that has a lot of marketing potential, an R rating would cause the film to lose money. (And highly disappoint teenagers like myself.)

*PG-13, as JT mentioned, has advanced in the violence department to the point that virtually all sci-fi violence is acceptable. (Think Star Wars or War of the Worlds.)

*It's likely that Ender's Game doesn't even have enough material for an R-rated film as it is, except for language and Ender's killings. More, darker material would have to be introduced. The story would take on a different tone, completely unlike the book.

*R-Rated movies have not had a lot of success lately. I can't name four from the past year that were among the highest blockbusters.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I really don't understand the actual ratings of some movies. Some movies that are PG-13 are really pushing it and some that are rated R are extremely mild. [Dont Know]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

They rate movies strangely. I don't know what stardard the MPAA has, but it's all jacked up. Violence is all good, but sexual content, language, and drug use will get you an R-rating quickly.
CRash
Member # 7754

From mpaa.org:
quote:

A PG-13 film is one which, in the view of the Rating Board, leaps beyond the boundaries of the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, or other contents, but does not quite fit within the restricted R category. Any drug use content will initially require at least a PG-13 rating.

If nudity is sexually oriented, the film will generally not be found in the PG-13 category. If violence is too rough or persistent, the film goes into the R (restricted) rating. A film's single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, shall initially require the Rating Board to issue that film at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive must lead the Rating Board to issue a film an R rating, as must even one of these words used in a sexual context.

An R-rated film may include hard language, or tough violence, or nudity within sensual scenes, or drug abuse or other elements, or a combination of some of the above, so that parents are counseled, in advance, to take this advisory rating very seriously.

Find out more at:
http://mpaa.org/movieratings/about/index.htm

Dog Walker
Member # 8301

"It's likely that Ender's Game doesn't even have enough material for an R-rated film as it is, except for language and Ender's killings."-CRash

I read somewhere that Ender's first killing will be removed because it will make him darker than they want him to apear.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rackham
Member # 8127

- posted      Profile for Rackham   Email Rackham         Edit/Delete Post 
what?!? they cant leave the stiltson fight out! thats an important part of the story, wouldent be right without it.
Posts: 62 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

You're not gonna like the movie if that really bothers you. OSC has said that the script (the first draft of which he wrote) will be faithful to the spirit of the book, but not necessarily adhere strictly to the storyline. In other words, Ender might take a slightly different route, but he'll end up the same place.
CRash
Member # 7754

Sounds fine to me. I never liked Stilson anyway.
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Stilson.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Theres no way in heck OSC will let them make it R. And I don't think even with t he fight with Stilson and Bonzo AND all the cussing is the movie rated R. I just watched Mr. Deeds, and i swear i heard shi* 45 times. In Ender's Game theres only a handful of cuss words( cant recall any but: shi talking shi* talking, and your a** is Dragon) I know theres more but it doesnt matter. and the killing, if you remember is just a regular fight, and they tell him that stilson died later. So the fight can make it look like he doesnt die.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest using the Stilson fight as a flashback, as with the rest of the intro. It would be easier to start the movie in battle school, anyway.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Crash brings up a good point with the Pg-13 rating for star wars. They do alot of stuff thats violent but its only worthy of a Pg-13 rating. Thinking about it the movie would have to be much darker than book really is to get an R-rating. And the book isnt that dark.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blackthorne:
I would suggest using the Stilson fight as a flashback, as with the rest of the intro. It would be easier to start the movie in battle school, anyway.

That to me is genius. I can see him waking up from his first day at battle school, or even as a newly made leader, during a nightmare after this fight sequence.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

Dont give Mr. Card ideas. He will have to make another script which will delay the movie for 2 more years. By the time the movie comes out the world will have been attacked by the Buggers, and Mr. Card will reveal the fact that he is a Piggy. [Big Grin] [ROFL]
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
The flashback idea is good, but then how are you going to do the stuff between the fight and where he "wakes up?" It would end up being like the beginning of Batman Begins where the flashbacks are in pieces and shown as he goes through his training. Personally, I didn't like that, but it might work out with Ender's Game.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.