FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just got back from the library...

Author Topic: Just got back from the library...
soccersprout91
Member # 8207

- posted      Profile for soccersprout91   Email soccersprout91         Edit/Delete Post 
So I haven't been having the best of weeks, and tonight my books were due, so I went to the library. I just got back, and I just had to say this: Wow, Mr. Card, you have certainly written quite a few books. I usually hang around the science fiction section, and have read most of your books in that area.

However, in the process of looking for Lost Boys and Treasure Box, I found that you have many more books than I thought. I just finished Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, (an excellent book, I reccomend it) being a teenage female history geek, specifially interested in the American Revolution. These will be a fun change in style, a little bit closer to some people's idea of summer reading, and a little lighter to carry. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Realized I didn't actually mention which books I checked out. I got Red Prophet and Stone Tablets in addition to the aforementioned titles, despite never having heard of the latter.

Before I go, let me just say that I'm really impressed with the Hatrack Forum. Since school has let out, I've been lurking around and reading every once in awhile, and I was really blown away by the fact that you, Mr. Card, actually get in on the discussion. That really tells me about the kind of person you are- the only other person I've seen do that is Erin McKeown.

So, thank you immensely Mr. Card, for that, as well as writing some really great books.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for finding my "hidden books." Hope you like Stone Tables - I'm very proud of it ...

As for my participation here, you'll find plenty of longtime hatrackers who'll tell you that this is NOT the normal pattern.

I generally stayed away at first so that the forums wouldn't be stifled by my comments. Then I stayed away because it seemed to be a community that didn't need any input from me to thrive. Family members and friends did a good enough job of representing my views along with their own.

But last winter I quit playing Civilization II cold turkey, and to fill up the empty hours, I started visiting, primarily in this forum, to answer people's questions directly.

When I'm busy or traveling, I don't respond quickly at all ... it's catch-as-catch-can. And there are some topics that I will never open and look at, if they seem likely to be full of attacks on me, my work, or my beliefs. We don't close them down unless they get too personal, but I don't have to read them and make myself crazy. (So anybody who thinks they can get me to participate by goading me is probably going to be disappointed.) Meanwhile, though, I enjoy being here and appreciate the wonderful community that the people of Hatrack River have created for us all to enjoy.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccersprout91
Member # 8207

- posted      Profile for soccersprout91   Email soccersprout91         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm enjoying Stone Tablets very much- I already finished Treasure Box this afternoon, and started Stone Tablets after dinner. I'm finding them to be much faster reads than 'Hamilton.'

Thanks again for your response, even if it's not the norm. [Smile]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.