FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Responded to Email

Author Topic: Responded to Email
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering who here who has sent a question to in the OSC help desk to OSC a question or a comment and was answered by OSC. I know he dosn't answer it but I had a question and it was fowarded to OSC. And he answered it.
Wondering has anyone else have that before?

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
He's actually pretty good about that sort of thing, considering the volume of e-mail he receives.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a reply from his personal assisstant Kathleen Bellamy, or however you spell it. That was on the only question I sent in. To make a long story short ("Too late!" Gosh, I love Clue the movie) no.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, Yes. I've been less than social since then for some personal reasons. OSC is a gracious and BUSY man. I love his work and therefore tried to avoid adding to the email load so that he has a personal life and time to write.
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never written him any mail, but I posted a thread here once that had a question for him, and he answered it. Does that count?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
When I answer a question, it's signed by me and comes from my email address. When it's a question I've answered before, the answer comes from Kathleen, quoting me or simply giving the answer in her own words.

We don't pretend. If it's signed by me, it's me.

And Rose, NOW I know who you are. Thanks for catching that mistake. Where were you BEFORE the book came out? Oh, wait. We didn't let you read the whole thing, did we ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not feeling the love here!.. not feeling it at all! [Wink]
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't pretend
Not saying this to OSC but can you really trust when people say they don't pretend? Because if you do pretend, couldn't you pretend that you don't pretend?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
I am officially volunteering myself to read any OSC book before it comes out to get a jump...ahem...to catch any mistakes that might be made.

I'll even do it for free.

'Cuz I'm that virtuous.

Really.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, I wrote a pure fluffy, very flattering, slobbering piece of fan mail, email to him.

He answered.

He thanked me.

Then I made the embarrassing mistake of replying to the thank you.

[Roll Eyes]

I was so young.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I once started a thread here where I wrote a letter to OSC (I didn't know about the help desk thingy). A guy who knows his email sent it to him for me and OSC responded about a day after. I was suprised, I didn't expect him to actually reply. OSC is cool like that [Cool] [Big Grin]
Edit: this thread

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tammy:
A long time ago, I wrote a pure fluffy, very flattering, slobbering piece of fan mail, email to him.

He answered.

He thanked me.

Then I made the embarrassing mistake of replying to the thank you.

[Roll Eyes]

I was so young.

Been there, done that. [Blushing]

Bought the t-shirt.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'v done like 3 mails's I think. 2 of them were responded by Kathleen Bellamy.
But then last time she fowarded it to OSC who responded it himself. Thats waht I was wondering so thanks for the responses especcially yours OSC's I feel honered.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't a mistake to respond to my answer by thanking me for my letter. But, of course, as you know, thank-you letters do NOT require a reply of any kind. They are meant to give the reader a warm glow as a reward for the action being thanked for, not to continue a correspondence. So your thank-you letter was not a mistake. Nor, however, was it required or expected.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Question to those who used the help desk: How long did it take you to get a response from it? I sent a question thru it I think about a week ago and haven't gotten a response yet. Does it usually take longer than a week?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent 3-4 emails the first to ask about the EG movie and about a sequel or so I think I was under the name Seto Kaiba then. The second I was trying to send a political essay I wrote about how war could be justified along the lines of war brings progress but I think that screwed up and feeling embarrassed I didn't pursue it though I may try again. The third time was a fan letter saying how much I appreciated his work I was either under Sid Meier then or my actualy name Blayne Bradley, I only got a reply for the first one me thinks. There may have been a fourth one I don't remember.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
never used the help desk

I think the forums are much faster
but I've had a question answered by OSC on the forums

close enough

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.