FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Getting sick of "Making Babies" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting sick of "Making Babies"
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
New page!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
steven, you're making little enough sense that I'm not going to respond until you restate your questions clearly and succinctly. Sorry. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
kqueen--my first point in your general direction was about law enforcement being somewhat like enlisted military employment. Is that not a separate category in the study you are citing?

My second point was that you really haven't done your population research. the 1970's were a population bust in the US. There hasn't been a real boom since then. There really aren't many people to draft. You'd have to draft some people with college degrees, kids, and full-time jobs to get much of a force. Vietnam only happened as a campaign because of the gigantic Baby Boom in the US in the 1940s and 1950s.

Prostate Massage. (OK, now I'm just being silly)

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, that seems like a bit of a strange "post hoc, propter hoc" argument to me.

Vietnam draft came after Baby Boom, so thus the Boom was responsible for the draft.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
For one thing, they wouldn't be able to get away with a male only draft this time. That's probably one of the reasons they're so hesitant to restart it without a really good reason.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a draft during the Civil War, as well as during both World Wars. Does your population boom theory work there, too?

And I only had the abstract, which said mostly that birth order did not seem to have much effect on employment in males or females. In males, family size didn't have much impact. In females, women from large families were more likely to work early in life (16-21) and less likely later on (22-27). Women from small families, the reverse.

[ July 19, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I know is, all the kids I know from growing up who ended up in the military are from large families, usually younger sons.
steven, when will you stop assuming things you cannot prove?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
My second point was that you really haven't done your population research. the 1970's were a population bust in the US. There hasn't been a real boom since then. There really aren't many people to draft.
Prove this.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
the problem is, there aren't enough American-born, English-speaking people to draft anyway. Who would get drafted?
Ugh! Are you serious! So there's a baby-boom and then the polulation dwindles? Jeez!
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
a conventional tanks-and-planes takeover. Again, not likely. This didn't work for the Japanese, either, and they took us by surprise.

The only time the Japanese took us by surprise was a complete cheap shot with aircraft and maybe a few small subs (the verdict is still out on the latter). No tanks in the surprise.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
scott--I of course know you aren't being particularly malicious. However, I gotta nail you on the "no tanks" comment. Unless you are a military expert, it's really not wise to debate me on this issue. I have two close friends who went to the academies (West Point, Annapolis) and I have had to get my butt whipped in arguments with one of them about just this sort of thing many times.

Now, exactly HOW would the Chinese get their tanks across the Pacific? throught Alaska? By boat? By plane? Exactly how would that go down again? Refresh me.

Are you still asking me to prove the population issue? That was a side note. You can look all that up at www.census.gov

There are world population statistics elsewhere, if you want the link I can dig it up.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

steven, it's customary on Hatrack to link to your supporting information directly whenever possible.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That always bothered me too.
Especially the thing about Anton because of how many relationships like that have failed, especially with children involved. Sadly, there is no gay switch that can be flipped to make a person straight. It's agonizing for both the gay man and his wife who may want a husband that is whole-heartedly attracted to her.
As for the babies thing, it would often come on sudden and would be a bit jarring to me...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
scott--I of course know you aren't being particularly malicious. However, I gotta nail you on the "no tanks" comment. Unless you are a military expert, it's really not wise to debate me on this issue. I have two close friends who went to the academies (West Point, Annapolis) and I have had to get my butt whipped in arguments with one of them about just this sort of thing many times.
steven, you argued that their were tanks in the Japanese surprise attack. There were no tanks. Just because you know a person that says they are a military expert doesn't mean squat. YOU don't know about the military. You even said "I have had to get my butt whipped in arguments with one of them about just this sort of thing many times" which tells me YOU are no expert.

Is this West Point guy the same guy that dropped out?

BTW, I tend to think I know more than most on military issues. I'm not sure why, just a hunch.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I think steven is trying to argue that the Japanese Imperial Army had tanks, not that they were used in the Pearl Harbour attacks. If so, he has a remarkably unclear way of getting his point across. Of course, I could be mistaken; maybe he believes that Heinlein's 'Sixth Column' was real history. He certainly has enough wacko opinions otherwise.

As for the Vietnam war being about reducing population : [ROFL] Sure, the ~50000 casualties of that war would make a huge difference to the 250+ millions of the United States. I mean, this is just ridiculous.

Finally, certainly the USSR was bankrupt. So what? Just because a liberal democracy like the USA wouldn't be able to wage war in those circumstances, doesn't mean an authoritarian state like the USSR couldn't. Look at what the Nazis accomplished in 1944-45, operating on a shoestring budget and no petrol; by any rational (at least in the West) standard they were defeated and should have sued for peace, yet they managed to stand against odds of three to one in personnel and far worse in heavy equipment, for two years. The thing about being a dictatorship resting on bayonets is that you don't actually have to pay your troops, or the people who make ammunition; you just have to keep them fed just enough to keep them alive, propagandised just well enough to fight (and this is not difficult, just look at Germany again) and policed just well enough that a large-scale revolt cannot be organised. Even the most impoverished society has enough luxuries that a small ruling elite and their immediate storm troops can be kept happy; even people living in mud huts can be bribed with a bigger mud hut. Particularly if they get the biggest damn hut in the village. It's true that the USSR wasn't going to be invading the Americas, or even Britain; but there was a very real and genuine danger of their marching to the Bay of Biscay and acquiring by far the larger part of the world's industrial potential.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Ilodlean: Holy shoot!!! As soon as I saw your thread title I knew what it was about.
IT WAS SO ANNOYING!!!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
llodlean
Member # 2057

- posted      Profile for llodlean   Email llodlean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I found it! I found where the thread got off track! I win, right guys?
.....Guys?

Yep, I think you've got it right there! Man, this thread's gone on a bit of a rollercoaster ride! And now, my futile attempt to redirect back on topic [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Ketchupqueen:
Is it any surprise that we had a child as soon as we got married, and wish to have many more, and that I have worked in child care? I don't think so. And I think Petra could justifiably have the same drive to have children.

I guess my objection isn't with whether or not Petra would want to have children,but rather the manner in which the generalised 'Make babies not war' message was put forward - e.g. too blatantly and far too much.

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
As for the babies thing, it would often come on sudden and would be a bit jarring to me...

Exactly. The fact that it felt so jarring and out of place is what accentuated the somewhat (and this isn't the right word to be using but I can't think of a different one to use!) inappropriate conveyance of the theme. It just didn't 'feel' right to have it in there.

quote:
Originally posted by TheSeeingHand
Ilodlean: Holy shoot!!! As soon as I saw your thread title I knew what it was about.
IT WAS SO ANNOYING!!!

Thanks for that, good to know I'm not alone!

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Then I guess you're doing it wrong.

Darn... do you know where I can get an instructional video or book on tape? [Wink]

I'd comment on the military argument, but would be WAY out of my depth, so I won't. [Smile]

Cheers,

Llodlean

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Darn... do you know where I can get an instructional video or book on tape?
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time-- a book on tape on the subject of the right way to make babies. Oh, so many joke possibilities...
llodlean
Member # 2057

- posted      Profile for llodlean   Email llodlean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time

*takes a little bow* [Wink]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.