FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Homeless in Hell

Author Topic: Homeless in Hell
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read OSC's online story Homeless in Hell because somebody mentioned it on the other side of Hatrack. I enjoyed it a great deal. I loved the idea that the afterlife is like this life- whatever you choose to make of it. Wonderful. [Smile]

However, I thought the last page or two pages (hard to tell reading online) were unnecesary. I had nice warm squishy feelings during the scene when the main character says, "Nick, thanks for letting me be part of it. Maybe it's not good enough for them, but it's good enough for me." Then Nick responds, "Then it's good enough for me, too." And off he goes. I wish it had ended there. The last two pages didn't do much for me and in fact slightly lessened my squishy feelings. They took away the subtlety of the story and just told you things right out, I guess I felt a little cheated by that. And the idea that he's typing the story out on OSC's computer didn't do much for me either. In my mind, the story now ends after "And off he goes."

Does anybody else feel the same way? Or had any other thoughts about it?

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost as odd as a post just stating that one person hasn't read the subject of the topic is a post pointing out that oddity.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked the idea of that story, you might enjoy The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, you're actually the second person that's told me I should read that. So now it's moving up on my reading list. [Smile] I'll let you know when I get to it.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's obvious that >I< thought those last couple of pages were necessary ...

Usually I have people complain that they wish I had told MORE of a story.

I guess this means you don't want the sequel ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.