FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Michigan aint so bad Card.....

Author Topic: Michigan aint so bad Card.....
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I just was hoping there would be an OSC signing anywhere in the Michigan Detroit/Metro area ever. I hear all you guys talk about randomly running into other Hatrackers and I feel left out. I understand the Michigan isn't exactly the sci-fi capitol of the world but there are fans here..........and my first page of Giant seems to be missing something. [Wink]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
correction..... by the lack of responses to this thread I'd say that Michigan is that bad..... [Laugh]
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

thanks Sticky.....that was necessary.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramadac99...why not travel a little to where he is doing a signing...its usually just a 5-6 hour drive to Ohio or Indiana.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Michigan. I've driven all over the lower peninsula in my time. But I don't pick my own tour sites.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Most terrifying landing in my life: the small propellor plane that landed me in Kalamazoo. We went straight down, it felt like. Thought I was on a dive bomber. Only barely kept myself from screaming.

That's when I realized that I don't have to put my life in the hands of New York travel agents when I'm on a signing tour (yep, Kalamazoo was for a signing). At the time I lived in South Bend Indiana. I should have insisted on driving. Nowadays, I do. Travel agents are all set to have me fly to LA, then fly again to San Diego. But I insist on driving, because by the time you arrive early, wait through security, etc., you could have gotten there by car. AND you don't have to pack the same way for a car trip as for a plane trip. You can be messier. Clean shirts can hang in the back seat instead of getting folded and creased in the luggage.

All this is to say that I have many memories of Michigan - the most vivid being when my life flashed before my eyes while I stared down at a little runway amid the cornfields around Kalamazoo.

Or was it Battle Creek? <grin>.

Teaching a week at Clarion in West Lansing was great. I've been to the Borders headquarters in Ann Arbor, and visited the university there. I've attended conventions in Detroit and walked the nine miles of corridors to get to the very last Northwestern gate in the Detroit airport - only to find that while I was walking, they gave my seat away, because they are b******s. (This is why I have a deep and abiding hatred for Northwestern Airlines, all their employees, and all their employees' children.)

I have driven the roads all around the thumb of the lower peninsula, from Flint to Detroit, and driven among the luridly wealthy houses of Grosse Point. I have crossed over the bridge into Canada and come back as quickly as possible because Canada has not bothered to actually put any scenery into that portion of their country closest to Detroit.

My question for you is: Have you ever been to Greensboro, North Carolina? Ha Ha, I thought not. So let's not hear any more whining from Michigan <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Borders in Ann Arbor. (I live about 40 minutes away)
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if I have spent a substantial amount of time in Greensboro, then I am entitled to whine about your tour cities? [Smile]
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyPevensie
Member # 8537

- posted      Profile for LucyPevensie   Email LucyPevensie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love nothing more than to see OSC come to Michigan. I'd also love to come to Greensboro. Anything I've ever heard about North Carolina is that it's beautiful. I have a few friends that work at Schuler Books & Music in Lansing (a totally awesome independently owned bookstore WAY better than Barnes & Noble or Borders if you as me!) and I know that most of the staff has read the Ender series as well as most of everything else by OSC. I was involved in a lengthy conversation about who should play Ender in the movie version of Ender's Game before we even knew it would be a movie.

...btw I think that kid from The Ring could do an excellent job if they can make him age the right way...

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyPevensie
Member # 8537

- posted      Profile for LucyPevensie   Email LucyPevensie         Edit/Delete Post 
whoa, got a little sidetracked in that last post... that's what I get for posting while i'm busy at work [Blushing] my point is that they would KILL to have OSC there, and they're big enough to handle the crowd that would surely gather.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Walked 9 miles at Metro Airport? That sounds about right, although if you were at the new Northwest terminal, you should have just taken the monorail to your gate. Granted you still have to walk a long ways just to get to the terminal, you get to walk in that psychadelic tunnel thing with the cool flashing lights.

Also: Argh! OSC was that close to me and I didn't even know it! I'm a hop skip and a jump away from Flint, Grosse Pointe and Ann Arbor. Actually I live near the center of all three of those parts.

Ramdac, Hamson, Telp - Next time there's an OSC signing in MI, IN or OH, we should hook up and drive down.

Lucy, where in MI are you? Lansing?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyPevensie
Member # 8537

I was, now i'm in the detroit area.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind my asking, what city? I'm guessing Metro Detroit area, and not Detroit itself. How close are you to Royal Oak?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Michigan, I mean the album by Sufjan Stevens.
Never been to the state though
(or any other state)

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyPevensie
Member # 8537

Awww... Michigan is so pretty. The weather really sucks about 65% of the year, but if you're a wilderness fan you'll really love it here. There's so many great places to go camping and so many state parks to visit. Tequamenon Falls and Macinac Island are gorgeous. I live in Highland, which is sort of in the middle of nowhere, but close enough that if i'm in the mood to be a city girl I can head into Detroit.
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Lucy....are you who I think you are [Wink]
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Lyrhawn, I'm down......big up's MI hatrackers
LucyPevensie
Member # 8537

yes Patrick.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.