FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Achilles

Author Topic: Achilles
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have a question about his name.
I was going back through Ender's Shadow and it says Helga (the lady at the charity kitchen door) sort of gave Achilles his name because of his bad leg.
If she were to give him the name as the text said, would she really give it to him with french pronunciation? Her probably not being french and french not really spoken there at all according to Carlotta later.

I could be looking way too far into this, yeah.

(anyone else still read the name to yourself as uh-KILL-eez?)

Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I definately do, sometimes I have to remind myself that it's not pronounced that way.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
indeed eaiser to remember but remember this is the Low Countries with alot of french influence.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading enough of the Shadow series I just pronounced 'uh-SHEEL'. Now whenever I see the name 'Achilles' I pronounce it the french way.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
hahah TheSeeing, I almost said "uh-SHEEL's heel" once.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illidan
Member # 8399

- posted      Profile for Illidan   Email Illidan         Edit/Delete Post 
jongo05, I was thinking about the same thing. perhaps OSC added the feature for our inconvenience.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I remember reading that Achilles gave himself that name, naming himself after the superhero.
Edit: Just checked the book, pg.15, third paragraph to the bottom, "Bean wanted to scream at her as she saw her target coming, a bully who called himself Achilles after the comics hero"

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illidan
Member # 8399

I've never heard of heard of Achilles the superhero.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
And I've never heard of Illidan except in a computer game, but Achilles is from Greek mythology as I'm sure you well know. There is no need to be cynical.

[ July 29, 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: SpEeDMaSTeR ]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Who's being cynical?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illidan
Member # 8399

Wow, someone else who realizes the connection between my screen name and Warcraft.
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I remember reading that Achilles gave himself that name, naming himself after the superhero.
Edit: Just checked the book, pg.15, third paragraph to the bottom, "Bean wanted to scream at her as she saw her target coming, a bully who called himself Achilles after the comics hero" Just checked the book, pg.15, third paragraph to the bottom, "Bean wanted to scream at her as she saw her target coming, a bully who called himself Achilles after the comics hero"

on page 32 in Ender's Shadow
quote:
for the very day one of the big boys--but the weakest of them, with a bad leg, they call him Achilles--well I suppose I gave him that name years ago because Achilles had a weak heel
the first can be true while the second is true, because how reliable is Bean's source of that information, he is just 4.

(still UH-sheel?)

Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erez
Member # 8282

- posted      Profile for Erez   Email Erez         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's Shdaow in hebrew and it read Ashile with no confusion at all, so when I read the rest of the series in english it wasn't a problem at all.
The trouble was at that episode (I think on Shadow of the Hegemon) that Bean writes on the nets about Achilles and Troy, then it took me a few seconds to realize what he was talking about because I still thought of him as Ashile (which to my knowledge wasn't in Troy...).
My problem is, if his name was given to him, how was he named before and where did his last name came from later? who has a last name but doesn't remember his first? it's like Elvis but backwards.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Ashile is from troy Paris shot an arrow that his Achilles in the heel the one place where Achilles could be harmed (in myths anyways). ANd of course it killed him. (what a way to go! Killed by an arrow in the heel jeez...)
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, you're kind of right. Achilles was at Troy, but he wasn't from there. He was one of the Greek heroes in the Trojan War. Some traditions do attribute his death to Paris, but in others Apollo himself kills him.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
apollo guides paris's arrow to achilles's heel which was the only part of him that was mortal.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
apollo guides paris's arrow
According to some traditions, yes. Others have Apollo doing the dirtywork himself.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

sorry I didn't mean "from" as in born there, I mix up words sometimes. I meant form the Torjan Wars, and anyone kow why a certain brand of condoms are called trojans?
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the Trojan horse (which should actually be called the Greek horse...) things are kept inside the "Trojan."

In the most popular myth after slaying Hector and dragging his body around behind his chariot Paris, who is a brother of Hector, kills Achilles with a poisoned arrow to his heel.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.