FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Question of Continuity

Author Topic: Question of Continuity
TMBG
Member # 8390

- posted      Profile for TMBG   Email TMBG         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered something:

If you find problems with continuity or spelling while reading, is there anything that you can do about it? Is there anything you SHOULD do about it? I have come across a couple of them during my reread of the Alvin Maker series and, though they are in no way detrimental to the plot or character, my OCD keeps me festering about it.

I keep asking my husband if they are just a technique or tool I'm not aware of, but he seems to agree with me.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
If you run a search on the threads about Crystal City that came out last november, you'll probably find some answers by kacard and Papa Moose and others who were credited with checking for continuity before it was realeased. Let me go look. I dig your handle, by the way.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMBG
Member # 8390

Thanks for the info. I spent the last couple of hours (what a life I have!) searching past threads. And yes, at least one of my issues was answered. But, ahem, since I JUST bought my copy of Crystal City you'd think it would've been revised by now.

Another one was from Alvin Journeyman. I'm sure that since it was written ages ago the problem has long since been brought to light.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMBG
Member # 8390

How can I sign up to check for continuity for OSC? <wink> That might help curb the OCD.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Any errors you find, please notify us through this website, and believe me, we'll do all we can to fix them!
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
And don't count on our having discovered all the continuity errors in a book, just because it's old.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
How do we help fix continualioty errors and fix them for books that are already out???

I say select an elite group of fans who will go over everything you've written and will always no matter how insignificant the continuality error. Which probly won't be me considering I didn't mention some of the errors despite being the first to notice them! [Wall Bash]

Though thankfully I helped in the case of Mazer's Children. [Smile] And I think something else but I don't remember... [Frown]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if we went to the old method of posting the entire book, chapter by chapter as it was being written, we could catch these errors before publishing.

Ahh, the good old days.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMBG
Member # 8390

Laura (aka TMBG): personal continuity expert

I like the sound of that! But I would also enjoy paricipating in either Sid's or pwiscombe's ideas.

Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find problems with ... spelling while reading, is there anything that you can do about it?

Yes--I correct it! I was brought up believing that you never wrote in books, but it's gotten so bad lately that I have to make corrections. (Only in my own books, of course.)
Nice to know I'm not the only one who notices these things.

Ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation", by Lynne Truss? If you like Richard Lederer's books, you'll like hers.

http://www.eatsshootsandleaves.com/ESLquiz.html

*edited b/c I can't use UBB code right*

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with doing the "select" group, is that OSC is generous and fair. I know there are a few people that tend to pre-read most of his books, but there are more people who are probably "experts" on his writing than could necessarily proof-read any one book.

Since he can no longer pre-post the work to hatrack because of publishing issues, I suspect he tries to pick a slightly different pool of people for each book pre-read, so that he can recognize different fans in his acknowledgments.

And having pre-read Crystal City myself, I know there are continuity errors in it that we missed, like the sex of the baby, because any group is human and fallible.

It's hard to read all previous books in a short time frame, and then try to go back and remember every nuance for consistency.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
There were several errors around the Shadow series as OSC could never make up his mind just who exactly was in the jeesh! but these things happen, it'd be nice if OSC could do more fan involvement... but to do that he'd have to start having dinners at his house for all 10,000 of us signed on here... got a big enough table for us all Scott?
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.