FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who hasn't read Magic Street yet?

Author Topic: Who hasn't read Magic Street yet?
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
The copy in my possession is currently on its second (third?) owner, and it wants to be on its next! I posted at the end of the previous thread, but I thought I'd start a new thread as well, just in case more people read new threads than old.

My original post:
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
Well, I finally finished reading Magic Street between going to work and entertaining houseguests - YEAH, OSC!! I thought it was fantastic. I really want to reread it, but I know I won't have time for the next several weeks, so the time has come to pass it on.

Same deal: first person to email me through my profile gets the book - I'll take it to the post office tomorrow. [Smile] (I won't post my email in an effort to avoid the aforementioned ubiquitous spammers.)

akidderz, were you able to set up a Bookcrossing journal for it? There are only two copies in their registry, but neither quite sounded like this one. If not, I'll start one. I've never actually used the site before, but I've been wanting to for a good long while now - this is the perfect opportunity.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
that's a totally awesome thing to do.....but I'll buy it.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thantos_2000
Member # 8285

- posted      Profile for Thantos_2000           Edit/Delete Post 
How is this book ever going to make it to the best seller list if we keep passing it around. Make people pay for it so our friend c [Roll Eyes] an have a book on the best seller list that is not related to enders universe.

Just a thought

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It won't make the lists now by the first rush of sales - too late for that anyway. So the only hope of its achieving that level of notoriety is to be a word-of-mouth hit. And THAT requires that the word be spreading, which is greatly helped by lending and sharing and so forth.

Writers who resent people who lend or give away books are merely ignorant of what is to their benefit. It is delighted readers that we seek, not copies sold. For those delighted readers will find new readers for us, and on and on, until the book cannot be ignored ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

::nods in agreement with OSC::

And see, my whole point in this is to return the favor that was done for me, and on up the line. I fully intend to buy the book for myself, which is why I don't want to be selfish by keeping this one. I'm guessing that the majority of Hatrackers are also in favor of buying their own copies, but some of you might not have been able to yet - so in the meantime, you can read this one. [Smile]

Any takers?

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I do appreciate sales for which I am paid royalties, because I enjoy being able to make my house payments and have the occasional trip to the beach (which is where I am right now).

But I would hate hate hate the thought that lack of money ever kept anyone who wanted to read something of mine from reading it. So I also love libraries, which give many people the chance to read the same copy; and used bookstores (though I'm always faintly hurt that people could part with a copy of my book <grin>; I tell myself that they DIED and my book ended up in the used-book store from an estate sale); and flatout giving away copies to friends. I encourage lending and giving and reselling of my books, as long as you read it and are giving it to others as something WONDERFUL rather than dumping the books because you didn't care for it. THAT'S failure, even if I got paid; success is when the book is loved so much that a good person can't keep it to himself and has to share.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it yet -- but mine is already on it's way here!! [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it yet. But when I do - I'll buy it or lend it from someone (in which case I'll pay OSCard a $50 cheque).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

At last! I have received the all-important email!! Now one more person out there can read, love, and share in the joy. [Big Grin]

AFAIK, this copy has yet to have a Bookcrossing journal started, so I will start one and post the link so that all who are interested can follow it. How many streets can Magic Street travel? Only time can tell....

Daric
Member # 8402

- posted      Profile for Daric   Email Daric         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am getting the book. I will read it, and in turn, send it out again where it lands only I know. Ok actually everyone will know but whatever. You get the picture.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daric
Member # 8402

And OSC, I am appalled that you would rather think that your readers died rather than think that they bought multiple copies and sold them to half-price bookstores so people could be enchanted by your writing at a cheaper price.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And OSC, I am appalled that you would rather think that your readers died rather than think that they bought multiple copies and sold them to half-price bookstores so people could be enchanted by your writing at a cheaper price.
He's living in his little Card illusion. [Razz] We all do that sometimes; he's just not too discreet about it.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is the idea that you will send me the book when you are done with it?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daric
Member # 8402

Yes, if you're the next one on the list then I will send you the book when I am done with it. May I inquire as to where you live?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.