FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Pastwatch books? When OSC, When??

Author Topic: New Pastwatch books? When OSC, When??
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch, trocc is probably my favorite stand-alone OSC book. Like it better than EG actually. So my question obviously is:

When are you going to start writing the Noah one? How many years must I travail? Have you no compassion? No mercy? When, darn you, when?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see why there would be another one. The book seemed pretty self contained to me.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the first in a series of three (iirc).
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
really? I'd never heard that before.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Jay just posted this on the other side, when talking about hearing OSC at a book-signing last week:

quote:
His talk of course was great, as usual. Talked about the two more Ender books, “Shadow in Flight” and “Ender in Exile”. The two more Women in Genesis books. Of course talked about “Master Alvin”. And the two more past watch books. One about the flood and one about the garden of Eden. Also mentioned an “Advent Rising” book.
and then he followed with:

quote:
I don’t remember an order given. (of when he will write them). Though he did say the Eden Pastwatch would be last since it will offend everyone.
Farmgirl
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The Pastwatch books aren't a series like the others, because the first Pastwatch DID the "change the past" thing, and given the rules of the universe there, it UNDID Pastwatch. So there can't be sequels - only prequels!

The Flood story is already complete before the beginning of Redemption of Columbus; and the Garden of Eden story will take place (that is, the Pastwatch part of it) WHILE the Columbus expedition is being prepared, so that the things they learn are NOT included in the summation of human knowledge that they take with them into the past.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Huh?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

OSC, did you purposely not answer my question?

I almost followed what you said, but the questions remains: When will you write them? How long must I wait?

In another thread you said you were at the beach...perhaps it is time to come in from the sun?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Don't make him mad, Crotalus -- or he won't write them at all!

Everyone deserves a vacation now and then....

Crotalus
Member # 7339

Oh I know he deserves a vacation. and i'm not out to make anyone mad. esp not OSC. So, forgive me OSC. Your answer was succinct and to the point and I completely understood every word you said. Really.

Soak up that sun, you deserve it!

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
He has will write them, but first he has several other books under contract that he has to write first. I think mainly the Women in Genesis, Master Alvin, and maybe the Ender books (gotta pay the bills).

In addition, he's gotten a real job (teaching) and I'm sure he'll have contributions to make to the magazine as well.

If he would sit on the beach with a laptop, I would sleep easier.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Huh?
Thinking about time travel tends to make my brain sore. That said, Pastwatch is still one of my favorite works of Card. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
[sarcasm] Now that he's a professor, won't he just have his graduate students write the book, then attach his name to the completed manuscript?
[/sarcasm]

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And require all his future students to purchase it at a vastly marked up price.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.