FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadow of the Giant Nominated For Quill Award

Author Topic: Shadow of the Giant Nominated For Quill Award
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Linkage

Voting begins August 15th.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's got my vote for sure!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
August 15th will be impossible here...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have 4th of July in Israel?

[Wink]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
When you vote (starting the 15th) don't forget to vote for a Book of the Year, chosen from all categories, in addition to voting for OSC's SotG in the SciFi category.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, August 15th is the day after Tisha b'Av this year.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Card is my favourite author, but while I enjoyed SotG, it wasn't my favourite book of his by any stretch. And a couple of those other nominees seem more interesting than that one, though I haven't read them...

What to do? Vote for the author, or vote for the book?

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Vote for the author or quit posting on his website! [Razz]
Besides, is it fair to vote for a book that you haven't read because it might be better?

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VW
Member # 8305

- posted      Profile for VW   Email VW         Edit/Delete Post 
SotG may well be my favorite of the Ender series. What an excellent book! I don;t think anything like the FPE could exist with all the socio-economic problems that we have. I can't imagine such a huge welfare state! [Smile]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
this is cool- I'll definintely be voting. One of my other faves is on there too - The Bad Cat Book - I'm a member of the forums over there, and I gushed all over Jim when I found out he was nominated for an award at the same event as OSC. Apparently Jim is an OSC fan too, he said he'd be more excited than I would if he got to meet him. I dunno about that, but it is nice when little bits of your life intersect in a positive manner.

oh, and my cat is in the bad cat book - he's listed as Larry, squinting at the camera. Page 29, maybe? His name is Stitch, but for obvious (disney) reasons Jim had to call him another name. If you haven't ever been to the website that spawned the book, go here and get ready to laugh yourself sick:

http://www.mycathatesyou.com

(and no, I don't work for Jim, I'm just a fan, like I am here)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

It's the 15th... Start voting people!!! Guess what, it turns out that I can't vote because you have to be a U.S. citizen. Oh well. Vote for SotG people!
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

By the lack of replies I fear that people aren't voting. Come on people! I'm rallying support over on PWeb, but there are more posters over here. Card is up against Stephen King. He needs our help to win! (Or rather, your help. As a Canadian I can't vote [Grumble] )
docmagik
Member # 1131

No Alton Brown in the cooking category? Didn't his baking book just come out?

::grumbles::

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Card is also up against Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell...which just won the Hugo. [Big Grin] It's ok. I haven't read it yet, so I still voted for SotG.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very surprised and pleased to see "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" as a choice -- even though it was under the "sports" category -- which I wouldn't have placed it in. That has to be high on my all-time favorite book list.

But overall, I guess I need to get reading -- because most of those titles I had never heard of at all and couldn't vote in most categories. I think I only voted in four categories.

I hope everyone on Hatrack sees this thread and take time to vote.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you guys keeping bumping that OSC and gays thread as being more important than THIS one?

[Razz]

(this should stay pinned to the top until everyone votes!)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted. (Hint - if you have more than one email addy, USE IT!)
[Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just voted too. They ask for your email address and zip code, and optionally your name. Don't forget that besides voting for SotG in the SciFi category, you can vote for SotG as book of the year too!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr. I tried voting for two days through my AOL service. But I finally voted, dang it!
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanting to say thanks to docmagic for posting this. It was the first we'd heard about it! We learn lots of stuff from you guys -- so thanks bunches [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
<Likes Farmgirl's suggestion.>
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for Sotg i Sci-fi but if I had read The Dark Tower already i would have voted for it cause I think books that end a serties are better
as book of the year i chose Harry Potter because I ahte to day it but that book just was a little more enjoyable.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys...I had to vote for The Dark Tower. [Frown]
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I just finished The Dark Tower this morning...
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for OSC! And I'm not even 18 yet!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
Vote! Even if you skip the other categories because you have no idea who those authors are...
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I voted in a number of other categories. Northern Lights was fantastic.

But of course I also voted for SotG. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

So when do we find out the results? I hope it's before the show airs in October... that's way too far away.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted in lots of categories, too . . . and "Shadow" figured in the voting . . . along with Anne Lamott and Charles Schultz.

Eclectic tastes-R-us.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
What I wanna know is... Where's _When Charlie McButton Lost Power_? (Illustrated Childrens Category)

*That* book deserves an award, if only for the pictures...

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start off by saying this is my first post on this site, and I look forward to posting a lot more.

Shadow of the Giant has the great honor of being the first book that ever made me cry, and gave me a fever right on the spot.

However, it stood out much more than all the other books on the ballot, the only possible competition for Book of the Year would be the Stephen King book.

Shadow of the Giant got my votes.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DangerSaucePanic
Member # 8571

- posted      Profile for DangerSaucePanic           Edit/Delete Post 
Man that OSC, he's like MC Hawking.

"I explode like a bomb. No-one is spared. My power is my mass times the speed of light squared."

That good.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I voted for Sotg i Sci-fi but if I had read The Dark Tower already i would have voted for it cause I think books that end a serties are better

SotG ended a series, too, you know. [Razz]

But I had to vote for The Dark Tower, because I didn't read SotG because I couldn't finish Shadow Puppets.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. SotG all the way!

I was surprised how many other authors I knew. I hadn't even heard some of them had new books out!

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
So* this hasn't become less important or anything, but since it's linked at the top of the page anyway, I'm unstickying it.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Well that was fun while it lasted.

Go vote everybody!

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Tomorrow's the last day to vote!
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Go vote!
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ziusudra
Member # 8601

- posted      Profile for Ziusudra   Email Ziusudra         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
Tomorrow's the last day to vote!

quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
Go vote!

Unfortunately, my time machine is broken at the moment. [Big Grin]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
The awards show is on NBC on the 22nd of October.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.