FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card and Role-playing Games

Author Topic: Mr. Card and Role-playing Games
Kristoffer
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Kristoffer   Email Kristoffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. I'm Kris, and I'm new. I did a quick search and saw a good many posts on role-playing. I'm a card-carrying member of the Gamer Geek Guild myself (I even had "GEEK" tattooed to my neck recently). I've not seen anything from Mr. Card himself on the issue. So I was wondering:

1) Do you play role-playing games, Mr. Card?
2) What are your opinions of people utilizing your settings in a role-playing context? I know some authors are utterly opposed to the idea (Terry Goodkind), some who actually endorse it (George R.R. Martin) and a few fence sitters. Jacqueline Carey gave me perhaps the most original answer to this same question: (to paraphrase)"It's fine, just be gentle."
3) Has anyone approached you about licensing any of your books for published role-playing games? Are there any special criteria a game company would need to meet in order for you to say yes? (From what I read, Robert Jordan wanted final say on absolutely everything that went into the WotC production of the Wheel of Time).

Anyway, mostly just curious.
-Kris

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm a card-carrying member of the Gamer Geek Guild myself (I even had "GEEK" tattooed to my neck recently).

I would think the only advantage of having that tattoo would be that it would render carrying the card unnecessary.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, i don't know exactly how mr card's settings could be made into roleplay but I'm sure the ender books and related could make great strategy and RTS games.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember OSC talking about games like D&D once. All I remember him saying was that when he plays, death is final. No resurrection, no raise dead. Death is death.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like his style, then. [Cool]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This coming from the DM whose unflinching disregard for his players is now famous. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
1) OSC hasn't played a role-playing game in decades, partly because he gets frustrated with the slow pace of the process. IE, it takes the entire first session and a half to create your characters, and you don't even have a story yet. I imagine that he would probably love an extremely story- and acting-centered roleplaying experience, but since most RPGs focus heavily on slow, turn-based tactical combat, he'd quickly get bored.

3) I actually helped him work on an Alvin Maker adaptation to a popular pen-and-paper system when I was a teenager. It never went anywhere, but he still uses the research I did into the magic system to remind himself how Alvin's world works when he settles into a new book after a long hiatus from the series. Or at least, that's what he tells me to make me feel important [Smile]

... as a side note, some of the characters from Wyrms are actually based on the last role-playing game OSC played ... in which he rolled up such an abysmal character that the GM let him have TWO. He decided to make them goblins, and named them Reck and Ruin.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend the Paranoia RPG to anybody who finds most normal RPGs slow... There's absolutely nothing slow about Paranoia. Character generation takes 40 minutes tops (when you don't know what you're doing). Combat is designed to be fast and frentic, and by the end everybody has died 6 times. It's designed around quick 1 or 2 session adventures, and you don't need to know the rules to play... In fact, this is probably the only game where the person who shows the least knowledge about the rules has the best chance of survival. I won't get too deep into the setting, but it's kind of 1984 meets THX-1138 meets The Island meets Brazil meets... well, you get the picture. Check out www.costik.com/paranoia for the blog and a bunch of related links.
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I've read some of the KotDT strips about Paranoia. It looks pretty interesting.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The KoDT Paranoia strips -- Hacknoia -- are nothing at all like the real Paranoia game, which is largely played for comedy. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I so want to see a pen-and-paper RPG set in the Alvin Maker universe.

And how cool would it be to play it with OSC as the GM? My levels of geekatonin would go so high I'd pass out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
Paranoia is designed from the ground up to allow GMs to get revenge against metagamers, power gamers and rule nazis. (You know who you are)!

I think the humor of the game is summed up in the first page of the rulebook which contains the "End Citizen Licensing Agreement" (or ECLA). The ECLA begins as such:
"By reading, browsing, standing near, possessing, not possessing, thinking about or not agreeing with this agreement, you agree to the following terms covered by and not covered by this agreement."

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristoffer
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Kristoffer   Email Kristoffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a few really good role-playing games that would make decent adaptations to Mr. Card's settings, however I personally prefer building a system around a setting. When a game is built around an author's setting, I also think the system should reflect the author's personal playing style. If Mr. Card does not like slow, plodding, combat-based games, there are a good many small-press role-playing game companies that produce rules-lite, combat-lite games that could be more to his style.

I'd love to take a crack at writing a role-playing game in the Enderverse; playing military genious children (both in Battle School and after) would be tons of fun, so far as I can tell. "Little Fears," a game I bought recently, focuses on children as the protagonists, and would serve as a good starting spot. But I digress.

And yes, my wallet is much lighter since the Geek Card was taken out of it; the tattoo is less convenient, but much more fun to show people. ^__^

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.