FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The New Myrtle Beach

Author Topic: The New Myrtle Beach
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

- posted      Profile for AMCSteel   Email AMCSteel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well OSC a lot has changed here in MB since your 5-year absence.

For one the widening of a lot of roads and adding new roads have made the traffic much more bearable. 17 bypass is still a viable road to get around on down here in Myrtle but the new 31 makes it much easier to get around especially from the Cherry Grove area into Myrtle Beach. Now you can drive 65 on an empty 4-lane highway and get to attractions like Broadway at the beach or The Palace Theatre in no time at all.

Myrtle Beach sadly has got a bit more commercial. Something most thought not possible. The city is trying to go for a more family beach image, and that actually has been hurting tourism. For the early summer weeks were really filled with a bunch of high School and College kids looking for some trouble and Fun after school gets out. Now however they go elsewhere. (Which is good for the families and the traffic)

As for the beach crowds. May I strongly recommend Garden City. The entire coastline is just filled with nice little beach houses and no condos/hotels. The beach is beautiful and a lot less crowded then most around here. You are secluded enough from the Hustle and bustle of The Commercial MB but close enough to get to anything you would want without a long drive.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Garden City south of Myrtle? I don't remember ever seeing that name.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal Outer Banks recommendation for everyone would be to stay in Avon.

Specifically, at THIS HOUSE.

It's got room for the whole family/lots of friends, is on the ocean, and permits dogs (most rentals don't). It has a play area for the kids, and a separate one for pets. It has a lovely great room with beautiful views of the dunes.

Oh, and my brother-in-law is part owner.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

Yes Garden City is just south of Myrtle after surfside beach. If you ever sat in a resturant in Murrells Inlet and looked out over the water, Garden City is all the beach homes you saw on the other side.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the porches, Yozhik. And we had a great time in Avon. There are real advantages to living in a town that actually has a grocery store - two of them, in fact! We rode out Hurricane Alex in Avon last year, in fact.

If we stay there, does that mean we get to use your brother's stuff? Have you left anything there that we can mess around with?

Does your brother charge you money, or just give up the rent for the week(s) you're there?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go south... go north! We've been staying at Ocean Isle, NC for the past few years - just across the NC-SC border from Myrtle Beach. It's far less crowded than Myrtle, with nicer beaches, and yet it's within 30-45 minutes driving of all the major Myrtle Beach attractions. Highly recommended.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
When we go to the beach, we go to Emerald Isle. It's becoming a lot more touristy, and there's nothing much but the beach and a little aquarium... but it really is a pleasant little place.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we stay there, does that mean we get to use your brother's stuff?
I'd imagine that you could use whatever they left there. I'm not sure what's there, except there are probably some dog toys. [Smile] (My s-i-l is a veterinarian, and their dogs go pretty much wherever they do.)

quote:
Have you left anything there that we can mess around with?
I'm afraid not, because I haven't gotten to stay there yet, although David has gone down with his brother/sister-in-law twice during the off season, mostly to help his brother work on building the play areas and repairing after storms. My vacations from grad school never happened to line up with his vacations from teaching, so we never went down together.

quote:
Does your brother charge you money, or just give up the rent for the week(s) you're there?
He's not allowed to give us rent-free access during peak season (he has some kind of agreement with the rental company and his co-owners, I forget exactly what). But since David put in all that work on the house, we're entitled to about a week during the off season. I'm not sure when we'll go -- I was newly hired as a full-time librarian this summer [Smile] , so I don't get any vacation time at all for a while [Frown] and it's too long of a drive (~7 hours) to go for just a weekend.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

Speaking of the Outer Banks. They are about to take a minor beating. I hope anyone there have taken the proper precautions, and that they stay safe.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.