FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Quotes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quotes
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
I will, yet again, revive this topic because I started it, and I like to think that someone else might enjoy these as much as I do.

From Roger MacBride Allen's Caliban (based on Isaac Asimov's Robots... you all get the gist):

Humans are sure change can only be for the worse. They battle against change--and so ensure there is no change for the better. But to live is to change. All that lives must change. The end of change is the beginning of death.

The cessation of growth is the first step toward death.

What are people for? What is the meaning of life? There are some questions so basic that they can have no answer. People just are. Life just is. They contain their own meaning. We must make of them what we can.

Strange how sometimes you reach a decision, and you dind't even know you were trying to decide anything.

If madmen do not know when they are crazy, how can anyone ever be sure they are sane?

Logic and reason are not by themselves reliable guides to thought and action, for the world itself is neither reasonable nor logical.

It is often in the interactions between beings, rather than within the beings themselves, that life finds its purposes.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!

-- William Wallace

Got's to love the Braveheart

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
There are too many good quotes to list!
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these threads. [Smile]

"Life is short, but I am tall." --?

"We are on the eve of discovering that nothing should be done for the sake of the gods, but all for the good of man--nothing for another world--everything for this." -Carl Sagan

"We question all our beliefs, except those we really believe, and those we never think to question." --OSC, SftD

"There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a while they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall...Think of that, always--when you are in doubt that that is God's way, the way the world is meant to be--think of that." --Ghandi

"Good morning. And if I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night." --The Truman Show

"It doesn't matter how unproductive you are, just as long as you get stuff done." --kid in my class

"We're doomed." --C-3PO

[ December 12, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Soara ]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.