FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Doing assignments and finding fans

Author Topic: Doing assignments and finding fans
LivingFiction
Member # 8564

- posted      Profile for LivingFiction   Email LivingFiction         Edit/Delete Post 
The assignment this weekend for those of us taking OSC's class at SVU includes interviewing a total stranger. It just so happens that the stranger I interviewed was the owner of the local custom computer store in town, which I didn't know existed until I walked past it today.

He was very accomodating, and told me all about where he was from, how he got here, what his plans were and such. He's and his fiancee are actually investigating the church. Then he made a Star Trek reference. I asked him if he liked science fiction, and he confessed he did, so I asked him if he had ever read anything by OSC. He lit up like a christmas tree. His favorite books, the Ender, and Maker series, his favorite author, Orson Scott Card. When I told him that's who my teacher is, he went from animated excited, to deadly serious.

"He teaches up there?", he asked.
I nodded, "and he's mormon" I added.
He just shook his head in amazement and asked that I forward on the information if OSC should ever offer a workshop that's open to the public. I assured him I would, and thanked him for his time.

I love meeting kindred spirits.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's fun. So what's the name of the store? If I buy a printer to use while at school, I might as well buy it from him as anyone else ... Otherwise I'd buy it in Roanoke and it doesn't help the BV/Lexington economy a bit if I do that.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta suck to have your prof posting on the same site where you do. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to complain about all the homework. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Gotta suck to have your prof posting on the same site where you do. [Wink]

haha, I can't help but wonder if your students post here without your knowledge.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.