FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Done the impossible

Author Topic: Done the impossible
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.fireflydvd.com/donetheimpossible/trailer_sm.html

As you can see from the link above, OSC will be involved in this documentry. To what extent? What can you tell us about it?

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

Whats Firefly and Serenity?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone send this kid a DVD set.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Send me one too, while you're at it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
RunningBear, Firefly was a SF TV program by Joss Whedon that ran on FOX briefly in 2002 before being cancelled. It is, in many people's estimation, the best SF thus far aired on television.

Due to the high volume of sales of the DVD set, as well as the dedication of people involved at all levels of the production of the TV show and an almost militantly dedicated fan base, Serenity, a movie set in the Firefly universe and starring the same cast members as stared in the TV show, has been made. It's going to be released on Sept. 30th.

Seeing the TV show before seeing the movie isn't necessary to follow and enjoy the movie, but doing so will enhance your enjoyment of the film, I would think.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
cool
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set. I'm in the SLC area. Disk 1 is currently checked out to a coworker, but if you put in a request, I can start charging him fines until he returns it. [Smile]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha - the conspiracy of librarians!

firefly is the best science fiction tv series EVER. And from those who have seen Serenity (it was finished last spring and they started showing it to fan groups to drum up support), it is just as good.

What I hear is that you don't have to have seen Firefly to understand and love Serenity - but it doesn't hurt, either <grin>.

This is rip-roarin' space opera of the first stripe; without stealing anything from Mike Resnick, it's Santiago-style sci-fi.

Plus as good a cast as has ever been assembled in a tv show.

Plus, Joss Whedon is the kind of guy who didn't even CONSIDER recasting any of the parts for the movie - he is loyal to his people. And they are loyal to him. That kind of thing shows in the movie.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, when I think about how shallow my life would be right now if you didn't create Hatrack and Ornery and get me (and dozens of others) exposed to Firefly (and George R.R. Martin and much, much more), I almost weep!

My wife and I just finished the DVD's last month and are addicts. We are now pushers.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my mom and roommate addicted. I can die having done some good in this world. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I got Jon Boy hooked. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My wife and I just finished the DVD's last month and are addicts. We are now pushers.
I prefer to think of myself as a Firefly missionary. [Smile]

My husband was converted by a fellow teacher, and then converted me. So far I've converted my dad and two friends and their spouses. (I tried to convert Uncle Orson after his favorable comments on Alan Tudyk in I, Robot, but Rat Named Dog had already got him first. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter: Don't forget me.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I got Mr. and Mrs. Boy hooked.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who's fapping to the fact that their favorite author is also a fan of their favorite TV show besides Buffy?

P.S. Everyone go and check out Farscape and don't mind the first 5-7 episodes. Yes, watch them all.

P.P.S. omg OSC and Whedon are both writing for Marvel at the same time *fap* *fap* *fap*

Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I exposed fiazko, three pairs of friends in the town where I grew up, my parents, and my brother. My future sister-in-law had already seen it, but happily watched it again as I hooked the rest of my family. She even did an impression of Joss singing the theme song, which was one of the funnier things I witnessed in 2004.

I also sent OSC an email recommending it, but I didn't hear anything back, so I assume that he'd either already been converted or that my message fell on deaf ears.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is (you'll pardon me as I geek out) so FREAKIN' AWESOME I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I was hooked from the first five minutes of the sci fi reruns, probably the best protagonist introduction and segue I've ever seen on television.

Anyone who wants to loan me the last eight eps from their DVD set is welcome to! I live in the Portland Oregon area!

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I thought that it was one show, I have seen firefly, it was very good. weird in my opinion, but hey, what scifi isnt?
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I am not a fan of Firefly as "best sci-fi TV ever." Like his Buffy, I found it good, but at times incoherent. They often felt slapped together with story board tape and stereotypical characters (albeit *well fleshed* stereotypical characters). Joss does have a genious for one-liners going for him that make for amusing television.

I know I am going to be reviled for this, but I think FARSCAPE was a much better show. It had characters that weren't, for the most part, stuck in a box. The stories were also much more imaginative and creative. Granted Firefly didn't have much time to evolve. But, it wasn't that much different than Andramada in overall plot.

All that said, I am looking forward to Serenity. It looks to be better than any Sci-Fi movies that have come out in the last five years. That includes War of the Worlds that I thought was astounding and visceral.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Saw the episode "Jaynestown" on Friday. Surprisingly, enjoyed it. [Smile] It's a cool show.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.