FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Run out of books! Any suggestions?

Author Topic: Run out of books! Any suggestions?
Lord Jono
Member # 8575

- posted      Profile for Lord Jono   Email Lord Jono         Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem that I've hit a brick wall when it comes to new fantasy/sci-fi books to read. I've read pretty much everything that catches my eye or sounds interesting from the library and bookstores in town. I've read all the classics, from Tolkein to Heinlinn, and everything inbetween from Ursula Le Guin (Thanks to her for the Ansible...) to Tad Williams and Anne McAffrey. Anybody got any suggestions of gems that i might otherwise pass over? Would greatly appreciate a reading list!

EDIT: Apologies - could have sworn i posted this on the other forum.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Dan Simmons' Hyperion series.

Also, you can move this topic to the other side. Click the edit button and you'll have a 'move' option.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
S. M. Stirling's Nantucket trilogy
Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" tetrology (there's another tetrology that's a sequel, and it's equally excellent)

Dave Duncan's "Seventh Sword" trilogy
David Palmer's "Emergence" (not a series book, but it's incredibly good)
Steven Boyett's "Ariel"
Ken Grimwood's "Replay"

Some of this is science fiction, and some of it is fantasy. None of it is hard science fiction, but you didn't say what kind of stuff you were looking for.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
George RR Martin! He is excellent.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionvar Tapestry.

Anything by Simon Green. The Deathstalker books, despite the ridiculous title, are brilliant!

Michael Stackpole is also enjoyable to read, as is Robin McKinley, Raymond Feist, and Alan Dean Foster.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Jono
Member # 8575

Hehe, excellent, cheers. Some definate new ones there. Tern - read everything by Feist except the few latest ones. Need to take a break then come back to it. Thanks folks!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly Sci-fi, even if you consider them children's books, I will always love Brian Jacues Redwall series. Mice with swords, fun.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superprime
Member # 8555

- posted      Profile for Superprime   Email Superprime         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Michael A. Stackpole...I forgot about him. One of my favorites is Timothy Zahn's Conquerors Trilogy. The Dune series by Frank Herbert is a classic, and the new series by his son Brian and co-author Kevin J. Anderson are not quite as good, but worth reading anyway.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
RA Salvatore's Drizzt tales or his Demon Wars Saga, both are aesome
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this really obscure book few people have heard of, but it really isn't bad. It is called "Ender's Game" and is written by an Orvid Smit Card or something like that, if my memory serves me correctly. Remember, you heard it from me first!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the "Replay" recommendation. Found out the other day that the author, Ken Grimwood, died back in 03, of all things a heart attack. Bummer. Also second the GRR Martin reccomendation. Come on book 4!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read (er, I mean listened to the audiobook) Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East, and was surprised at how good it was. It is pretty comparable to Lord of the Rings.

[ September 09, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Dread Pendragon ]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
The most underrated F/SF writer: Jack Vance. He's won Hugo and Nebula; most people haven't heard of him. For fantasy, start with Lyonesse. For SF, either the easy The Grey Prince, or maybe To Live Forever.

Connie Willis is da bomb, too. For humor: To Say Nothing of the Dog. For pathos and some humor: The Doomsday Book.

I'll assume you've done The Riddle-Master of Hed (McKillip), The Mote in God's Eye (Niven & Pournelle), but you may have overlooked Foundation's Fear (Benford), or A Million Open Doors (Barnes). Those are some of my favorites.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I second DemonGarik's RA Salvatore recommendation. The Drizzt books are great. Also read the Canticle Quintet.

It's a Drizzit!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Jono
Member # 8575

Wow, thanks folks. Good few new doors opened up there, this should keep me going for a while! Hehe, Some of my favourites are already in the list [Smile]
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonGarik:
RA Salvatore's Drizzt tales or his Demon Wars Saga, both are aesome

Second on the above, all of the books by Salvatore are equally amazing to Card's work with character development, in my humble opinion. Though he does over-use a few literary techniques...(oh no, we think Drizzt is dead for the fourth time!)

Also a good series to look at is the Shannara books by Terry Brooks.

The best book that I have read recently is Card's Pastwatch, however. It uses the same idea as in the movie "The Butterfly Effect" but puts it to a whole 'nother level with historical details and twists.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....may I recommend Mr. Card's recommendations? There are the weekly reviews, and also a LOT of SF/F reviews in the "OSC Library", the Reviews Section
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. Its not horror even though thats where you usually find it. Its more fantasy adventure.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Try Dan Simmons' Hyperion series.

Hell yes!!!
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you've done so already, but if not...Anything you can find by Delany. Especially if you end up burning out on the recent writers (styles have changed...) and need a short trip to the classic sci fi world.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Moorcock?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Philip K. Dick.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skippyboy
Member # 7600

- posted      Profile for skippyboy   Email skippyboy         Edit/Delete Post 
John Varley
George R.R. Martin

You can't go wrong with either of them.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
"Talyn" by Holly Lisle.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagusFire
Member # 6780

- posted      Profile for MagusFire   Email MagusFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to OSC's review last week, I've started reading 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'. Seems really good so far, it's kept my attention at least. It seems like one of those books that, in a few years, everyone will be reading it.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a fantasy -- "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MagusFire:
Thanks to OSC's review last week, I've started reading 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'. Seems really good so far, it's kept my attention at least. It seems like one of those books that, in a few years, everyone will be reading it.

Have you seen its sales numbers? Everyone seems to be reading it right now.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
A stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Heinlen's "Expanded Universe"
Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael"

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DreganOTreform
Member # 8733

- posted      Profile for DreganOTreform           Edit/Delete Post 
go with Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth series it is rather very good read most especially Wizard's First Rule I liked it not sure if you will but it is pretty good

also David Farland and the Runelord series is rather nice oh and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
George R R Martin - he takes forever to write the stuff but it's worth the wait
Stephen King (Dark Tower series)
Julian May (The Intergalactic Milieu + Many Colored Land series, interconnected and FASCINATING!!!!!! Hmmmm, time to reread, I think...)
Terry Goodkind starts off brilliantly but fades badly.
Ditto Robert Jordan, whose made a living out of his books going nowhere.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, anything by George R.R. Martin is great (as has been said). I would reccomend C.J. Cherryh for science fiction or fantasy. Any of her books are excellent, I am current reading "The Deep Beyond", which is a omnibus of two of her novels, Cuckoo's Egg and Serpent's Reach. Also the Faded Sun Trilogy is excellent as well.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somnium
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for Somnium   Email Somnium         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some more :

Louis L'Amour's - The Walking Drum
The Uprising Trilogies by David Brin
The Religion War by Douglas Adams
Vamped by David Sosnowski (one of the most unique imo plot settings I have seen in a while)
Tom Godwin's short stories/novels (basically all of them are collected into one book, "The Cold Equations & other stories" or something similar)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
The Walking Drum was great! I had heard that he was working on a sequel but I guess he never finished it at the time of his death.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ballantrae
Member # 6731

- posted      Profile for ballantrae   Email ballantrae         Edit/Delete Post 
go to the blacklibrary.com

buy anything you see there.

My recomendation would be to start with the Blood of Gilead by Dan Abnett, and/or Trollslayer by William King

Blood of Gilead is a sad story though. Trollslayer and Skavenslayer (and all the other slayers for that matter!) are a riot. Grudge Bearer is probably my favorite, cause I love dwarves in general. And the folks at Games Workshop have dwarves down better than Tolkein did.

I think they did a book called the Travels of Orfeo or something along those lines, that was also pretty freaky. hmmmm, you might want to stay away from anything that has dark elves in it, or anything from the Warhammer 40k stuff at first. It's really a bit much to take in at first. You have to get into the dark grim atmosphere before you can dive into those novels.

Or you can take your pick, anything there is amazing. They've never let me down yet.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beanelricyr
Member # 8793

- posted      Profile for beanelricyr   Email beanelricyr         Edit/Delete Post 
Phillip Pullman's his dark materials
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.