FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC asked me to email him... anyone know his email address?

Author Topic: OSC asked me to email him... anyone know his email address?
wad
Member # 8605

- posted      Profile for wad   Email wad         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a couple of books signed by Mr. Card, and we chatted for a few minutes. He asked me to send him an email, but I didn't get his email address. Does anyone here have it? [Card got your address and deleted it from this spot so you don't get spammed.]

In case you want to know, he was going to read an extremely short story I wrote. Here's the link I'll send to him:
http://www.wadhome.org/my_old_sofa.html

Thanks!

\/\/ /-\ [)

[ September 13, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Best bet is to use the OSC Help Desk link. It'll get forwarded to him by his personal assistant.

Welcome to Hatrack.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wad
Member # 8605

Will-do. Thanks!

\/\/ /-\ [)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty darn good short story, in my unprofessional opinion.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
A warning, though. If you are trying to publish that story, don't make it accessible on the web. Including that link counts. The problem is that publishers consider Internet posting/linking to be publication, and won't buy a story that has been freely available already.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wad
Member # 8605

*blush* shucks... glad you liked it, BannaOj.

Naw, I don't publish anything. I still have 9950 pages of sheer rubbish to write, before anything worthy emerges. May as well post the rubbish online for people to mock.

(Yesterday, OSC told me something to the effect of, "you have to write ten thousand pages of garbage before anything good comes out".)

I'd like to write a novel someday. After a couple of false starts, it turns out to be a lot of hard work. Just keeping track of characters, what they look like, what they do, their history is, who has interacted with whom... egads. I set up a spreadsheet to help.

I suppose it's best to start with an overall plot outline, and then fill in the gaps.

Currently I'm working on a story about a young mexican boy with a mysterious past, and a mysterious gift. It turns out that... erm. Maybe I shouldn't spoil it. [Big Grin] If I ever write more on it, it could be really cool.

\/\/ /-\ [)

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
To be totally rude and stick my nose in where it isn't wanted-
You should really cut down on the comma use because it was very distracting while I was reading.
I'll take my nose back now, sorry.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. =)
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice the commas. Still don't see them. Maybe they were edited out?

I tried to write a novel once. I know you are suppose to start with short stories, but I have a story I want to tell and a short story isn't long enough to tell it.

I wasn't trying to make it good or inspiring. I was just trying to make the writing experience fun. And it was fun. I went back thinking I could turn it into something decent and most of it was rubish. Still would like to finish it someday...

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
The commas are there-everywhere! You have to see it..they drove me nuts. Maybe because I am guilty of it myself.
Other than that it was pretty good.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it; it was very interesting to me.

On the comma note, there are quite a few of them. On estimate more than 50% of the sentences are made up of two or more fragments. While great in moderation, too many commas cause the reader to "jitter" through the story. A comma is traditionally where a reader pauses. If there are many commas, they lead a reader to start-stop frequently. Thus, "jittering".

It's like with this exaggerated example:
"Because he was tired[,] my dog went to sleep. When he slept[,] as I watched him[,] his legs moved. Eventually[,] I figured[,] he was dreaming[,] probably of squirrels. As his legs moved[,] he growled[,] softly.

That may just be your style, wad, but I would still advise you to work on your sentence fluency. Perhaps alter the lengths of your sentences. It'll probably make your work easier to read. I enjoyed your story greatly, enough so that I wasn't put off by my own prejudices against commas. Keep writing! [Smile]

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

So do authors actually avoid using commas? If I can make a long sentence into 2 or more seperate sentences, I'll do that for sure (I read that Style book a long time ago and I think it says to do that). But, um, I'm just not sure, you know, about the other commas. (Ok, that was an obvious bad example. You know what I mean. In fact, I normally write that last sentence as 1 sentence seperated by a comma. Was it easier to read with a period?)
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say authors avoid using them -- they just endeavor to use them correctly. Card certainly isn't innocent of overuse of commas, but I believe it was extremely intentional. Don't know if you remember the following from Ender's Shadow:
quote:
"Well that's the funny thing. Perhaps that fight in the line woke up these children to the horror of the life they were living, for that very day one of the big boys--but the weakest of them, with a bad leg, they call him Achilles--well, I suppose I gave him that name years ago, because Achilles had a weak heel, you know--Achilles, anyway--he showed up in the line with a group of little children. He as much as asked me for protection, warning me that what happened to that poor boy with the broken ribs--he was the one I call Ulysses, because he wanders from kitchen to kitchen--he's still in the hospital, his ribs were completely smashed in, can you believe the brutality?--Achilles, anyway, he warned me that the same thing might happen to his little ones, so I made the special effort, I came early to watch over the line, and badgered the police to finally give me a man, off-duty volunteers at first, on part pay, but now regulars--you'd think I would have been watching over the line all along, but don't you see? It didn't make any difference because they didn't do their intimidation in the line, they did it where I couldn't see, so no matter how I watched over them, it was only the bigger, meaner boys who ended up in the line, and yes, I know they're God's children too and I fed them and tried to preach the gospel to them as they ate, but I was losing heart, they were so heartless themselves, so devoid of compassion, but Achilles, anyway, he had taken on a whole group of them, including the littlest child I ever saw on the streets, it just broke my heart, they call him Bean, so small, he looked to be two years old, though I've learned since that he thinks he's four, and he talks like he's ten at least, very precocious, I suppose that's why he lived long enough to get under Achilles' protection, but he was skin and bone, people say that when somebody's skinny, but in the case of this little Bean, it was true, I didn't know how he had muscles enough to walk, to stand, his arms and legs were as thin as an ant--oh, isn't that awful? To compare him to the Buggers? Or I should say, the Formics, since they're saying now that Buggers is a bad word in English, even though I.F. Common is not English, even though it began that way, don't you think?"
As you can see, there are ridiculously many commas -- but it's completely intentional, designed to express how excited (and excitable) the speaker is. Using that many during normal exposition doesn't have such a purpose, at least in prose, so wouldn't be appropriate. IMHYESCO.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
...in my humble yet ever so clever opinion?

i think?

that's a new one.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever so correct opinion, actually. *smile*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Nice. So know what you are doing, basically. [Smile] (or is it *smile* now? *wink*)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
wad- That story was the coolest thing ever!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wad
Member # 8605

Woah, so glad you guys liked my little story. Maybe I should write some more, ey?

And I'll try to cut back on the commas, too. [Blushing]

There's another one in the works, it's about, well, the discovery of a second time dimension (in addition to the current 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension). It takes a lot of brain power to visualize a universe with two or more time dimensions. The story's point is to explain how it that second time axis would work.

\/\/ /-\ [)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that the couch thing was about the coolest thing ever.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
That was a really good story. Kind of makes me want to get rid of my easy chair. sheesh.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dannighe
Member # 7831

- posted      Profile for Dannighe   Email Dannighe         Edit/Delete Post 
Great twist at the end, never saw it coming.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.