FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Marcao and Bean? (Possible Laugh for Mr. Card, Check it Out.)

Author Topic: Marcao and Bean? (Possible Laugh for Mr. Card, Check it Out.)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I had this absolutely crazy idea. It probably wouldn't make any sense, but I thought I would throw it out there. As I remember, Marcao was a giant of man and he died young. Maybe someone can see where I'm going with this? We never really heard too much about Marcao, we don't know how smart he was or wasn't. And he was sterile. Perhaps, an attempted cure for his giantist caused this? Its crazy, I know. But what if Marcao was one of Bean's children?

And he was on Lusitania because of the Descolada, perhaps he even created it in an attempt to find a cure. Maybe it that is why the Pequinos are around, perhaps the disease had something to do with it. We are told that Marcao was a shy child in school, perhaps he was hiding his intelligence? Bean was small for awhile, perhaps this would explain how Marcao could have created the disease. And his time on the planet could be interrupted by a visit to see his dying father, brother, or sister. Aside from crazy, how does it sound?

[ September 15, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
He died young from a testes based illness he had all his life I believe. thats why he had no kids too. I might be wrong though.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That may be true, but this was the story from the town's point-of-view. Maybe he was hiding something, like I said. I know I'm stretching, but the thought just occured to me.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
He didnt seem like the type of person who would do things like that... plus, Ender did all the searches he could, with Jane's help mind you, to find out info on him... that little fact of "oh... he's related to julian 'bean' delphiki... thats interesting..." just wouldnt happen...
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Jane most likely didn't have any records of where Bean was, let alone where his children are. And, if Marcao is indeed Bean's son, you would think he'd find a way to protect himself from being found out. Plus, I'm not suggesting that this is an actual component of the plot. I'm just saying that it would be interesting.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
When Macao was written had OSC even thought up Beans condition yet?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds not only crazy, but not that interesting of a plot twist. OSC has said that he doesn't feel the need to make sure every thread connects to every other thread. That's forced and unrealistic.

Asimov's joining the Foundation Universe and the Robot Universe is widely recognized as a terrible move, storytelling wise. It doesn't add anything, and it hurts the suspension of disbelief.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
...And the allusions to Marcao's childhood on Lusitania would hurt the believability of this twist.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I dont think he was less than 20 years old, growth wise.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I just said that it was an idea. I'm not suggesting that its good or realistic. I just wanted to "throw it out there," as I said previously.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.