FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » English teacher says this dosen't work (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: English teacher says this dosen't work
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't even read this whole thing through, however, irregardless is about the most pointless word ever. I don't see how it can be used in a situation that regardless can be used as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a worthless word that people use when they want to use a word with more syllables than needed, inorder to have a facade of intelligence. Sorry, rant off.
um, did you note my graemlin??
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Er-hem:

The apostrophe: were better off without it!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Get. Rid. Of. The. APOSTROPHE.

I'd rather see people learn how to use it properly.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
A note: My post was entirely sarcastic, for those who didn't catch the trick. I'm a stern protector of punctuation.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd rather see people learn how to use it properly.
Today I had an unseen test, it was an article from the New York Times, a review on the latest Harry Potter book. Apparently, the teacher decided it's time for us to read other stuff from the petty tabloid called "The Jerusalem Post" (mind you, it's full of grammar & spelling mistakes - my teacher goes over the weekly issue and marks it).

I landed across the term "Muggles's". So I marked it as a grammar mistake, and asked the teacher if I get extra points. He said "nope". But at least I can use the a'postrophe properly, and you know that, J'boy.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 8645

- posted      Profile for chuck7   Email chuck7         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m horrible with spelling and grammar. I admit it. If I am writing in an attempt to gain favor with my audience then I try to be as correct as possible. This goes for things like a resume, a story submission, or an email to one of my many bosses. I write it in a word processor first, catch the misspellings, correct what grammar I can, then send it.

If however, I am not trying to gain any favor, and am simply sending along something that I think others may find interesting, I use my poor spelling and grammar as a test. If you can see beyond my lack of written perfection and still get the gist of what I am typing, then good. If however, my lack of commas, apostrophes, and atrocious spelling hampers you to the point that you just cant read any further, then that is good as well. Because this keeps us from wasting a lot of pesky “getting to know you” time. I will never be any good at these qualities which you hold so dear. So the sooner I can see what affect this is going to have on a potential conversation, the sooner I know whether or not it is worth my participation.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just thankful I'm an English teacher's son. That's not to say that my English teacher's son (also my classmate) is any use in spelling, grammar or punctuation. He has to ask me almost daily how to spell a certain word.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope our kids will be glad they have two word nerds and grammar nazis for parents. Part of me suspects they'll hate us at some point. [Smile]
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Get. Rid. Of. The. APOSTROPHE.

you, sir, have given me fits.

I have a shortcut on my favorites list to the Apostrophe Protection Society. Apostrophe abuse is one of my PET peeves, and it's rampant in today's society.

CONTRACTIONS ARE NOT POSSESSIVE. PLURALS DO NOT REQUIRE AN APOSTROPHE.

I need to quit before I have a stroke....

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mr.Card, another thing my teacher gets a kick outta is that i sorta indirectly talk to you and interact on Hatrack, but he's a good guy, and i'll be sure to stick with Though till your little evolution comes about.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm just thankful I'm an English teacher's son. That's not to say that my English teacher's son (also my classmate) is any use in spelling, grammar or punctuation. He has to ask me almost daily how to spell a certain word.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.