FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OCS's views on Ender's Game the movie

Author Topic: OCS's views on Ender's Game the movie
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you, Card. You have to reign in the people who would see EG as nothing more than a quick buck from an established giant of a literary title.

It has to be about characters' interation and emotions, not cool space combat.

My question, though, is since this is going to stay very true to the book, and there are two scene where a child is literally beaten to death, is it possible to sneak that by the censors to get a pg-13?

Personally, I think that if it movie were rated R, it might be a good thing. People who have never heard of EG will not be thrown off by the kid theme and assume this is a touchy feeling space opera starring lovable rugrats. And with the R, you could show scenes that are vital to the story. Like to one mentioned above.

So basically, this is a question about what rating you guys are trying to go for. PG-13, or R?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post a link to the opinion you are referring to? also, Serenity which I thoroughly enjoyed managed to portray the most horrible abuse imaginable without actually showing it. They did this by showing how people react to it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in OSC's review of Serenity
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebbie
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for Nebbie   Email Nebbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to the site... My brother pointed me in the right direction by handing me the Ender's and Shadow series... He also showed me here, which is pretty cool. I personally am excited about a movie and look forward to more information about it wherever I can find it. I heard recently that the part of Mazor Rackham will be play (rumored) by Sean Connery. Although in an interview Card did say that he would like someone like Will Smith. I guess we will just have to wait to find out, huh?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is your brother?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
haplopeart
Member # 8684

- posted      Profile for haplopeart   Email haplopeart         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree if the killings will not allow for a PG13 rating then the Movie should get an R, although I thought there was a not often used PG17 level as well. Still I think that there might be a way to carry it off in the movie and still get the PG13 rating. Pretty much the same way as in the Book. In the Book its left rather vague, at the end of both fights, about the condition of Ender's opponets. Its only revealed later on that Ender killed his opponent. In the first fight its a total guess if the attacker died or not and we are not told for sure until much later. They have Ender off world long before local events (which are nolonger privy to) would reveal that he was killed. When the fight with Bonzo occurs the book doesn't outright say at the end of the fight that Ender killed him. However from what we have learned of Ender (hopefully, if we have been paying attention and understanding where Card is going with Ender's Character and the story) are able to infer that in finishing the fight, Ender has finished it forever.
So I think that if the Movie carried it off the same way, perhaps the violence of child killing another child might make it. Honestly without witnessing those killings the rest of the story would make little sense. This is especially true if as Orson has said the "Enders Shadow" story is integrated into the Movie as well. If the sequence where Bean turns the tables on Achilles in the battle station duct work is included the various fights stand to illustrate a key difference between Bean and Ender. Its this difference (and serveral other, but this one is key) that explains whu Ender is the one to Command Earth's fleets and Bean is only a subordinate.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Revenge of the Sith was PG13. Why would Ender's Game have to be R?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
They could get any rating they want with the content. It is just a matter of how it is filmed. It depends what they show and what they imply. That is where they will control the rating.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
MPAA is a lot more strict about sexual content than violence when assigning ratings. Bass-ackwards IMO, but that's the way it is.

I think EG can be done as written, although I remember some talks of flashbacks to show the Stilson fight.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want to know is how to audition [Big Grin]
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.