FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Need lots of information about OSC..

Author Topic: Need lots of information about OSC..
Xenon
Member # 8677

- posted      Profile for Xenon   Email Xenon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! Im a newbie to these forums so bare with me [Big Grin]

I need some help here, I have an assigment for school, I have to write about an author but there are some specific points:

1. Why did X (in this case, OSC) write the way he did?

2. What influenced him.

Then I have to write about his background and literary work.

Now, I have red all of the Ender-books, which are some of the best books I´ve ever red, so I am familiar with some of OSC work.

My question is, the information that I need, is it to be found here in the forums or/and at the hatrack-site or do I have to search the net like a maniac? [Smile]

Any help, links or whatever is very appriciated!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of it can probably be found around the website. I'd try the "About Orson Scott Card" and "Research Area" sections first (linked from the top bar).

And while the Ender books are by far the most well known, he has written a lot besides them (some of which is better IMHO, though the Ender books are still great). Depening on how long you have before the paper is due you may want to try reading some of his other books... or for that matter if you don't have time just read them after you're done with the paper.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good resource for those kinds of questions is the introductions to his books/stories. They often have a lot to say about the evolution of how that story came to be. Maps in a Mirror is chock full of that stuff (and amazing short stories to boot).

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Recent editions of Speaker for the Dead have a interesting history in the... I'm not sure if it's preface or forward or introduction. But he tells the story of the story.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenon
Member # 8677

xtownaga..
Yeah, I will around for other OSC books when this project is finished. Any suggestions?

to the others, thank you very much!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Xenon, I have yet to read a book of his that I didn't like, but if I have to recommend a few, the short list would have to include Pastwatch The Redemption of Christopher Columbus, Songmaster, and Maps in a Mirror (the last is a fairly large short story collection as I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread). There are others here who can probably give better recommendations as they've read much more of his work and telling us which of the Ender/Shadow books you liked best would also help with recommendations (or that's what I've seen others ask for before)
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a bibliography link somewhere in the menu up above. I think if you click on OSC Library, biography is an option there. I guess i want to go see what is in progress.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find everything you should need on this website. Out of the links above; "OSC Library" has descriptions of all his books and "About Orson Scott Card" has a bio on him. As for book suggestions. I would definitly say read the Alvin Maker series.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You might also check 'Uncle Orson's Writing Class' here at hatrack. You might have to read all the lessons, but it's well worth it to glean a lot of info about why he writes the way he does.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenon
Member # 8677

Everyone, a million thanks, very much appricated!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.