FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Stupid Trivia of the Day

Author Topic: Stupid Trivia of the Day
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
first one correct gets a gold star.

What is the only U.S. state where you can put pennies in a vending machine?........think.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
In a ridiculoU.S. state.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
**Considers doing 50 back to back posts, one for each state***

**decides not too because its probably a pun/joke**

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

no one has it yet......think about the guy who is on the penny.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
my google kung-fu is weak today...

I say Kentucky - birthplace of A. Lincoln

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

close Gryphnesse, keep thinking along those lines.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Illinois is the Land of Lincoln.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
But I never saw vending machines that took pennies in all the years I lived around Illinois.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

RIVKA, you are correct.....good logic
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the only state that requires vending machines to accept pennies, right? Because you can put pennies into a vending machine in any state.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I've lived in IL most of my life, and I can't recall having ever encountered a vending machine that would take pennies.

However, you can put pennies into toll booths, which apparently is sort of unusual.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool.

Here's a question

What was the color of the 100 Billionth Crayola Crayon ever made?

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Black?

Here's something I just found out messing around Wikipedia that I thought was cool. I want to see if anyone else knows this.

What country was the first to recognize the U.S.A. as a nation, and also has the oldest unbroken friendship treaty with us?

No googling allowed. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Is it the Netherlands?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
isnt it france, after all they had a treayt with us to help us fight the revolution. if they did not except than what would be the point of helping us.
oh wait i just remembered hearing somewhere in school it was poland sound woerd though
so either poland or france that s what im going with.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RufflesBag3
Member # 8735

- posted      Profile for RufflesBag3   Email RufflesBag3         Edit/Delete Post 
Parriwinkle bule
( I think thats how u spell it)
and Morocco

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Nice google-fu, Rufflesbag. And good google-less answers, Shawshank and Ender.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Parriwinkle bule
( I think thats how u spell it)

I think the words you're looking for are "periwinkle blue." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RufflesBag3
Member # 8735

- posted      Profile for RufflesBag3   Email RufflesBag3         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not Google. I got the Morocco answer from history class. As for the crayon thing I read it in a magazine.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There are vending machines in every state that accept pennies.

They do things like this.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, accusing someone of having Googled when they misspelled the answer that badly is a little tart. It's basically admitting that you thought the questions were unanswerable.

I have to admit something, I was thinking of old-fashioned gumball machines, which are probably no longer found in every state.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember those!

They were great! Especially after long grocery shopping trips with Mom.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by Survivor:
I have to say, accusing someone of having Googled when they misspelled the answer that badly is a little tart. It's basically admitting that you thought the questions were unanswerable.

I thought my question was pretty tough. The one about the crayon, however, seems about as answerable as the third character in Bill Gates' license plate number. A person knowing both of them without googling... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it still seems a little far-fetched.
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

awesome, good participation.....ok, here's another:

What state has the lowest, highest point.....SoccerSprout you might have this one wrong as MF were mistaken when they posed this question to their audience.

Ramdac99
Member # 7264

I'll give you a hint......it's not Delaware
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Flordia
And I didn't even google it

I used Ask Jeeves [Big Grin]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Florida would have been my answer if I'd read this earlier, since I just received an e-mail this morning from someone who moved there and commented that everything was flat, and that the highest elevation in the whole state was 540 ft. He was telling me how much he missed the mountains in California (and weather and family and friends).

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
Boo... It's not Delaware? I'm terribly dissapointed in Trivial Pursuit and Moxy Fruvous both.

Bonus points for whoever knows which Moxy Fruvous song my name is from!

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Actually- I always thought it was perriwinkle blue too- until I googled it to see if my answer was correct. It's actually a special color called "blue ribbon" and it was created by Mr. Rogers- that particular crayon was... I think.
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
what i really want to find is a vending machine in the US that accepts my 18 dollars worth of canadian quarters. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that $18 in U.S. or $18 in Canadian?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who reads Tidbits knows what the color of the hundred-billionth Crayola crayon was. It really isn't that difficult of a question to answer.

It's like asking what the names are of the two lions guarding the NYC Public Library. You don't need to Google as long as you know these random kinds of facts.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

quote:
Originally posted by HandEyeProtege:
Bonus points for whoever knows which Moxy Fruvous song my name is from!

Horseshoes

and have you noticed the burp in the album version of Michigan Militia?

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the names of the lions?

I think the lowest point is Death Valley, and the highest is Mt. Rainier, WA

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

The lions' names are Patience and Fortitude.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timothytheenchanter
Member # 7041

- posted      Profile for timothytheenchanter   Email timothytheenchanter         Edit/Delete Post 
do we get to count alaska as a state, in which case there's mount mckinley(sp) otherwise, thei higest point in the continous U.S. is somewhere in california i though.

which state has the highest low point?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Colorado?
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CRash:
You don't need to Google as long as you know these random kinds of facts.

Isn't that kindof like saying that you don't need to google if you already know the answer? [Razz]

I remember reading some quip once that said that the highest point in [state] was lower than the lowest point in [other state]. I'm pretty sure the second was Colorado, but I don't remember what the first one was.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
And what's the fastest growing U.S. state?

(joke, but there's something to it)

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

Colorado? I think the answer is a Midwest state...
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawai`i. Because of volcanic activity on the Big Island, it's physically getting larger.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the lowest point in Colorado is a little over 4000 ft. I'm pretty sure we have the highest low point here, but I'm not 100% certain without looking it up.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane Bovine
Member # 8846

- posted      Profile for Insane Bovine   Email Insane Bovine         Edit/Delete Post 
Fastest growing state..., definetly not a melting Alaska.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

what state has the LOWest sheep population??

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.