FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC's first novel

Author Topic: OSC's first novel
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Hot Sleep literally his first novel or the first one published? See, I've read various places that one has to write about ten novels before producing a good one.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the answer, but it doesn't have to be the first one published to be his first novel.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Sleep wasn't a novel as such, was it? It was a collection of short stories involving somec and memory taping.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ender's Game was his first novel idea.

I also think the Worthing Stories were his first sold short stories.

I'm not sure about first novel, but I think EG was also first here.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
You're both forgetting about "Capitol" I think.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Oh, here it is. A couple clicks brought me here
Might help ya out.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It was my first novel, and my first published novel. I've never written a novel that was not already under contract to be published.

Hot Sleep was written as a novel, though a badly structured one. Capitol was the collection of stories about somec.

My first published short story was, technically, Gert Fram, which was published in the July 1977 Enslgn Magazine. My first short story to be sold (and my first sci-fi sale) was Ender's Game, which appeared in the August 1977 Analog - which came out within a few days of the July Ensign that year.

The stories "Tinker" and "Worthing Farm" and "Worthing Inn" were the first sci-fi short stories I wrote with intent of publication, but they did not sell until much later - they felt too much like fantasy. These stories "from the Forest of Waters" were not published until after both Hot Sleep and Capitol.

[ October 18, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that settles it then.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I've read Hot Sleep, Capitol, and both Worthing books. I can't keep them straight in my head for the life of me.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem, mph.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Because they share so much material.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ensign published Ender's Game?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Analog, I think he meant to say.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

I actually have an original copy of that issue of analog. Got it signed and everything [Smile]
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "Listen, Mom and Dad" was your first book?

I quote you from a Cincinnati book signing when I handed it to you: "Wow! My first book! Where did you get this?"

Is this a different thread since it’s fiction instead of a non fiction book?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your "first book" is different from your "first novel".

Card's first publication, period, was a poem he wrote as a young teenager for a Church magazine, I believe ...

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was written for my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Schroeder, at her request; she submitted it to a California state teachers newslater, which published it. I'm sure it was in the "how cute" category. It was actually a seasonal duplicate of a Christmas poem I had written for class - at least it began the same. I remember it was published on the same page as a cute saying by another kid, who was writing in response to the question, "How can you take care of your teeth?" His answer was what you'd expect: Brush your teeth after every meal, don't eat candy, and "Watch out for pushers at the drinking fountain." I think his comment was better than my poem <grin>.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Oh...I just now figured out what that kid meant by "pushers".

Still, it's also important to stay off meth, kids. Your teeth will definitely thank you!*

*teeth will not actually thank you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.