FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Orson's Star Wars post (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Orson's Star Wars post
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Not scientists who happen to be Christian, but members of the Church of Christ, Scientist.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there are legitimate reasons for a scientist to wish to do away with widespread use of antibiotics. You are making an unjustified assumption by suggesting that any scientist would necessarily have a desire to reduce human death and suffering due to infectious disease.

I find that assumption highly objectionable, though I've come to expect it [Wink]

By the way, atheists hate "all religions" mostly because those other religions contradict their own self worship. I've never been able to understand how a human being could possibly fail to know that there must be beings far superior to mankind in the universe. It's utterly untenable, if rather amusing.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, can I point out that I am not talking about actual scientists, but members of the Church of Christ, Scientist? The concepts are rather well separated.

For the last paragraph, I assume you know my posting habits and are trying to get a rise out of me? Most amusing.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Actually, I wasn't talking to you. But I did like the way you took Sommy's "I've never heard of 'Christian Science'" bit seriously. It does mean that you missed the slight jab at yourself in that post, though.

What about your posting habits, by the way?

Okay, want a real rise? I'm not talking to you even now, I'm still only talking about you. [Wink]

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, meet KoM. KoM, meet Survivor.

*ducks for cover*

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Camus, are you seriously implying that this guy is for real?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as you are. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

KoM, I believe he was very serious about what he said and am quite surprised with the way you responded. I'm not saying you should have responded any differently, just surprised about it.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Wait, I'm a little confused here. Everyone seems to know this KoM guy and all, but who is he? Does he really claim to be some kind of authoritative representative of the human race, or at least its adult male contingent? Please, don't be concerned. Many entities in the universe, some more powerful than myself, have no interest in physical suffering and death as they affect humans. And I wasn't claiming that I was such an one anyway.

As for my comments, while they were truthful, they weren't serious in the sense of not being made with a smile. I'm not trying to pick a fight with your King, yo. And if a fight does occur, absolutely nothing is at stake.

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You two have seriously never met before?
I don't know whether to run for shelter or stay and watch.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

A part of me wants to stay and watch, the other part is disappointed in myself for even encouraging certain behavior. In any case, if either part party decides that a discussion on the meaning of atheism is necessary, this thread is definitely not the place for it.
Survivor
Member # 233

I just want you to explain. Why would I have necessarily met KoM before? And what about our meeting would give you all cause to either run away or watch?

I wasn't the one who introduced atheism into the discussion, so I suppose that I can agree that this thread should be more about the question of what the Jedi way means in the "real world" than about atheism. I don't know whether KoM agrees with that idea, certainly his earlier posts suggest otherwise. Maybe that's just the "posting style" somebody mentioned.

Really, what's the deal?

King of Men
Member # 6684

I'm an atheist; indeed, on this board I am moderately notorious for being quite intolerant of theism. For you to come up with "because those other religions contradict their own self worship" looked quite a bit like a deliberate provocation.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And what about our meeting would give you all cause to either run away or watch?

The two of you share certain similarities.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Nah. I can tell by the way Survivor hits the italics that he is middle-aged, depressed, and running a little to fat. I, on the other hand, am youthful, debonair, and quite handsome. Additionally, I possess a subtle and playful sense of humour, while Survivor's sentence patterns plainly reveal a rather stodgy disposition.
camus
Member # 8052

Be careful KoM, no one wants to see you get suspended here too. Well, actually a lot of people want to see you get suspended here, but I'd rather you didn't. It's too quiet when you're not around.
Survivor
Member # 233

Okay, I could kinda tell that KoM was an atheist. Like appointing himself your god wasn't enough of a clue. Like I said, he's the one that brought the subject up, eh?

So that doesn't explain anything.

I'm not really running a little to fat. More like...inching. Okay, really, I'm probably as fat now as I'm ever going to get. It used to worry me, but now I think I'll just live with it. Unless Milfeulle Sakuraba becomes my live-in cook, I'm not going to make any progress. Actually, something tells me that if I were to rely on Milfeulle's cooking, I would actually lose weight.

Huh.

Middle-aged...I don't know. How old is that? I suppose the important thing is my life-span rather than yours...how depressing [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

King of Men
Member # 6684

Where did I declare myself anyone's god? If anything, I'd rather have you worship the IPU.
Survivor
Member # 233

Sorry, what does KoM stand for again? [Wink]

Okay, a more serious question. What's the IPU?

King of Men
Member # 6684

It's a game name. And Wiki is your friend.
Survivor
Member # 233

But if I worshipped the Invisible Pink Unicorn...wow, that would really be bad for you. I don't think that you realize...huh, apparently nobody realizes how hard we had to work to suppress all that nonsense.

Either that or the worshipers of the fantastic Unicorn are rather more involuted than I ever thought possible. I think it's just a random coincidence, though. I mean...hmmm.

You know what, I don't think I care one way or the other. It would've mattered back then, but it doesn't matter anymore.

King of Men
Member # 6684

That post makes no sense. Once more, with coherence.
Survivor
Member # 233

You're just making the wrong assumptions [Wink]

Which is to say, we don't agree because you don't have the context to understand what I'm saying.

King of Men
Member # 6684

If you cannot manage to make your posts comprehensible, how am I supposed to tell whether I agree or not?

[ October 30, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*sprays down S and KoM*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*brings chips, candy, and sodas, and passes them around to spectators*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Much as I appreciate having a fanbase, I'd like to point out that we aren't actually arguing yet, much less flaming, since comrade Survivor has yet to explain what the devil he is talking about. Also, kq, you appear to have forgotten the asbestos clothing.
Survivor
Member # 233

Hmph. Well, now that I've been...moistened, by certain persons, I think that I will give in to my boredom and find something more interesting to pass the time.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Much as I appreciate having a fanbase
Yup. And I'm also a liberal pinko commie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yup. And I'm also a liberal pinko commie.
I *knew* it!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Those of us who actually are communists really resent the way the name has been coopted by state monopoly capitalists ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, kq, you appear to have forgotten the asbestos clothing.
Oh, yeah. I'm just so hot I don't catch fire, but if any of the rest of you want it, it's over in the corner. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Those of us who actually are communists really resent the way the name has been coopted by state monopoly capitalists ...

Not to mention those of us who are state monopoly capitalists! Jeesh! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
...you all fail to mention those of us who are Hasbro Monopoly capitalists...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting how "communism", as people know it today, at its root, was practice by early Christians, and many Christians today, and yet it is VERY different than what the general public understands, i.e. Marxism, Stalinism, Moaism, etc.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javelin:
It is interesting how "communism", as people know it today, at its root, was practice by early Christians, and many Christians today, and yet it is VERY different than what the general public understands, i.e. Marxism, Stalinism, Moaism, etc.

You have to admit, they went a long way in popularizing the term.

quote:
Originally posted by Kingo of Men Where did I declare myself anyone's god? If anything, I'd rather have you worship the IPU.
And why not the FSM?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghengis Cohen
Member # 8813

- posted      Profile for Ghengis Cohen   Email Ghengis Cohen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

If you equate "state monopoly capitalism" to Marxism, then bravo. I don't know if you'd consider me a communist, but here's how I see things:

If it had not been for Karl Marx, we might all be living in communism today.

1. Marx rejects specialization, which is insane, since you need specialization to prosper and progress as a society. In fact, without specialization, there's hardly a need for society beyond the tribe.
2. Marx's rationalizations about the necessity of a transitory "dictatorship of the Proletariat," IMO lays the foundations for Leninism and all the horrors of Big C Communism.
3. Marx stupidly and needlessly antagonizes religion. As Javelin pointed out, before Marx, religion had been communism's best friend.

I see the best hope for true communism to occur in religion, science, and family. Marriage and family are the closest thing that civilization has produced to a long-term working communist unit. Science will gradually produce technologies that render large-scale manufacturing mostly obselete (think nanomanufacturing on a scale that you could create car components from a computer in the same way you now print a document). And religion works on our hearts and minds to make us more generous and less greedy. I look forward to a day when plenty and generosity abound to the point where it's "from each according to his abundance, and to each according to his wants."

If you have a manifesto somewhere on this topic, please link me. So far I've only seen hints of what you mean by communism.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

The FSM is a pagan cult, unworthy of comparison to the Greatness that is the Unicorn, may Her hooves never be shod.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
And religion works on our hearts and minds to make us more generous and less greedy.
[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.