FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » LOTR nod in Alvin series?

Author Topic: LOTR nod in Alvin series?
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I must have missed this on my first reading of the Alvin series, but just caught it last night, a year after the first read.

In "Alvin Journeyman," Alvin spent much of his imprisonment coming up with songs. Alvin had one such song that he said he thought might have been "a dream that belonged to somebody of ancient days, or maybe somebody who ain't even been born yet. Just a spare dream and I chanced to snag on it during my sleep."

The song was this:
quote:

Alone with my imagining,
I dreamt the darkest dream,
Of tiny men, a spider's sting,
And in a land of smoke and steam,
An evil golden ring.

I can't believe I missed that the first go-round, but that's definitely a little homage to Tolkein. Kudos to you Mr. Card [Hat] - I enjoyed the poem!

-BandoCommando

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we all owe a huge debt to Tolkien, and every now and then you have to give him a bow.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Neal Stephenson, Stephen King, and Robert Jordan have worked in subtle homages to JRRT, too.

In a few years, figure on seeing subtle Card homages in the works of authors to come. [Wink]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I already have . . . now if only someone would publish that particular story! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a few years, figure on seeing subtle Card homages in the works of authors to come. [Wink]
I saw one in a book that came out this summer... [Wink]

It was called Magic Street. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RufflesBag3
Member # 8735

- posted      Profile for RufflesBag3   Email RufflesBag3         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thats cool. I dont know why i have never noticed that when i have read The Lord of The Rings so many times before reading the Alvin books.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that bit really fun. I smiled quite a bit when I saw it.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Doh! In the acknowledgements for "Crystal City" Mr. Card says something like "if I could have Alvin dream up the plot of 'Lord of the Rings'..."

There we have it, folks.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
So simple, how could you make a mistake like that? No, no, no.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

*Sigh*

My own students follow me online to make fun of me.

I'll never have peace again. :-)

Somnium
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for Somnium   Email Somnium         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha ^^ [Wink]
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.