FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Chamrajnagar

Author Topic: Chamrajnagar
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
how is this pronounced?

I'm thinking Cham-raj-nu-guar.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I pronounced it pretty much.

cham-RAJ-nuh-gar

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
chahm-RAJ-nah-gar - all the A's are AH sounds. That's probably what you intended ... and in English, certainly, we would schwa the nah to nuh, so neither of you is wrong, except that I can't figure our the U in GUAR. Unless you know something about Hindi that I don't know ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. The first couple times when I came across his name I pronounced it something like 'Chamrahmmmhmmm.'
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'u' is there to open the mouth to form an open 'a' (ah) rather than a short 'a'.

Okay, I just made that up [Wink]

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

I originally pronounced it "char-manger" to save time [Smile]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I did.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I always pronounce the names in full because I try to create names that are really really fun to say. Like Palicrovol and Enziquelvinisensee Evelvenin. And Chamrajnagar and Shedemei and Gaballufix....
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny... I don't really remember a Enziquelvinisensee Evelvenin. Maybe he (or she!?) wasn't a plot character...
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Enziquelvinisensee Evelvenin is in Hart's Hope.

Which I keep thinking I'm going to re-read. But can't get up the courage to. I've now set up a complex.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way names are pronounced in the Homecoming books. I have fun adding the y sound to the names of people I know and seeing how they react to it.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a discussion about the pronunciation of a name in a book a friend and I were both reading. He was really hung up on the proper pronunciation. I, on the other hand, rarely slow my reading to sound out a name. I recognize it as a symbol that represents a character and move on. The only difficulty comes when you try to read the book outloud at a later point and sound like you have never read it before because the names trip you up. [Wink] [Wall Bash]

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy and I had an intense argument over which was the correct pronunciation of "Petra". I said pee-tra and he said peh-tra. Sadly, he was right.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I those are really character's names? That's so cool.

Sergeant: I know what you mean. It's annoying when someone else and I don't agree with pronunciation of a name in a book...

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the entire Chronicles of Prydain when I was a kid, then wrote a piano piece about them, then sent a tape of the piece to the author, Lloyd Alexander. He sent me a nice letter back, and threw in a pamphlet about his work, which included a pronunication guide. I was a little taken aback that I had "mispronounced" many of the names of the characters in what was, at the time, my favorite series.

I got over it quickly. I still mispronounce a lot of character names in books I like, knowing they're wrong, but preferring my pronunciations to the "correct" ones.

But it can make for a confusing conversation with another person who's familiar with the series. Anybody who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series won't know who I'm talking about when I say Nynaeve. And I don't care.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series won't know who I'm talking about when I say Nynaeve. And I don't care.
*sniffs*
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
You may know who I mean when I write the name, but you wouldn't if you heard me say it.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally I pronounce names correctly.

edit: except Hermione in HP however I got wrong I pronounced it as french "Her-mI-own"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Assassin Link
Member # 8817

- posted      Profile for Assassin Link   Email Assassin Link         Edit/Delete Post 
How exactly is Achilles supposed to be prounounced? It says it's pronounced 2 different ways in Ender's Shadow, 1 in Shadow of the Hegemon and 1 different way in Shaddow puppets.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
AH-SHEEL french.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov did a two volume thing on the Bible, and he included a name pronunciation guide. It was just embarrassing... I mean, as if there's a proper way to pronounce a transliteration, anyway.

I'd like to see something like:

Jehu: YAY-hoo
Ahab: ACH-ahv
Isaiah: y'-sha-YAH-hoo
Isaac: YITZ-chak
Zebulon: z'-VOO-loon

I mean, if Achilles can be ah-SHEEL, why not get the names of biblical personages right?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki 2
Member # 8864

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki 2   Email Julian Delphiki 2         Edit/Delete Post 
AH-SHEEL. french. Considering card has a dim view of the French, Achilles is just what they need in a way
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently lived in Barcelona for 6 weeks, its FASCINATING to pick up diverent name pronunciations, some favorite (These are in either Castilian Spanish, or Catalan, the other first language of catalonia, sorta like spanish) especially intertaining was getting people to say MY name "Lloyd," it always came out Loise de---

Isaac- e-SOCK
James- Juame- (Jew-ah-may)
Steven- Esteban (spanish) stepAno (Catalan)
Kaitlin- Katarina, or Katarine, or Katalena or others

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>AH-SHEEL. french. Considering card has a dim view of the French, Achilles is just what they need in a way

French pronounciation. Achilles himself was Belgian, as I recall.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
is "verlomi" ver-lome-e, or ver-lome
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

quote:
Originally posted by StickyWicket:
is "verlomi" ver-lome-e, or ver-lome

pretty sure it's "ver-lome-e"
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I always pronounce the names in full because I try to create names that are really really fun to say.
Suriyawong is so fun to say that I never call a swimwear wrap a sarong anymore. I'm completely aware of the fact that it's juvenile of me, but I consider it an extra opportunity to say a fun word that never really comes up in normal conversation.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
belgians are french in denial.

a friend of mine was belgian and said as much, but denied he was french.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.