FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Need some Reccomendations(sp)...

Author Topic: Need some Reccomendations(sp)...
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
hey all
I need to find 2 works of the medevil time period,
like a book
movie
ect.....

if any of you know of a good book especially about it, id Love to know about it
thank u

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Can it be fantasy?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Locke2525:
hey all
I need to find 2 works of the medevil time period,
like a book
movie
ect.....

I don't think they made too many movies back then... [Smile]
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "of," do you mean "about" or "from?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured he meant set in but yeah it's pretty vague...
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is that really a serious question?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

sry
what i ment if it ahs to be less than 50 years old
but be about the time period

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so would you need a history book or a fiction book?

Take your time, write clear, there's no hurry... [Smile]

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon folks, he wasn't asking a very hard question. I understood it when I first read it.

Sorry, I don't really know any stories like that. :-(

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Timeline by Michael Chrichton is partially set in those type times.

The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown has a knight and castles...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

thanks boon
ill check em out

Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thats weird. I have Timeline. I was going to read it right after I finished The Mysterious Island.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The film The Name of the Rose is very good. I've heard the book is good as well, though the film has a complicated plot and the book is probably even more so.

What about Shakespeare? Most of his plays would qualify.

Connie Willis' The Doomsday Book (AKA Domesday) is about time travel back to days of the plague, the Black Death, in England.

The Navigator is another film with a Black Death/time travel plot.

Try this keyword search at the IMDB film site:
http://www.imdb.com/keyword/medieval/

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
Timeline by Michael Chrichton is partially set in those type times.

While this is true, it's not very good; comrade Chrichton spends as much time 'correcting' what he thinks people think about the Middle Ages as advancing the plot. Usually his corrections are quite oversimplified in their own right.

EDIT : Plus, of course, he doesn't know anywhere near as much about quantum mechanics as he thinks he does. But then, very few authors do, with the honourable exception of Stephen Baxter.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Shakespeare wouldn't quite count as medieval. He was during (maybe even after) the English Renaissance, which came after the Middle Ages. The Middle/Dark Ages/Medieval period generally refers to the years 400 AD-1500 AD, and Shakespeare wrote from about 1589-1613. The Black Death in England might be iffy - make sure it's the 1347 one, and not the 1665 one because the latter isn't medieval either.

Ironfire by David Ball is set during the Crusades. It's about the Knights of Malta, and I really enjoyed it. George R.R. Martin has a short review of it on his site (you have to scroll down a bit).

Also, The Once and Future King by T.H. White is a classic and a fabulous read. It's cutting it a bit close to your 50-year parameter - but it was published in 1958, so it should be okay.

What is it you're working on? *curious*

And Tom, I was wondering the same thing - I was getting all set to recommend The Canterbury Tales or The Song of Roland. [Smile]

EDIT: My bad - some of Shakespeare's history plays would work. I don't have time to look up the exact dates right now, but King John, Richard II and III, and Henry IV (both parts) should both be fine...I'm pretty sure Henry V and all three parts of Henry VI are fine too. I think a couple others are set in the medieval period too, but offhand I'm not sure exactly which just now.

[ October 30, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Nell Gwyn ]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nell, I thought about that. But many of Shakespeare's plays are set comfortably in the medieval period.

But I just realized it doesn't pass the 50 year test. [Blushing]

The film and the book about the plague I referenced are both about the 14th century.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. I just forgot the 50-year thing too. [Blushing] Feel free to ignore my edit, as it is irrelevant. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
While this is true, it's not very good; comrade Chrichton spends as much time 'correcting' what he thinks people think about the Middle Ages as advancing the plot. Usually his corrections are quite oversimplified in their own right.

I've found this to be true in most of his books, especially State of Fear. That said, I thought this was one of his better books. To anyone who enjoyed reading any of Crichton's other books, this would probably be a good read.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Are Young Adult books allowed? The Door in the Wall was always one of my favorites.

But drat, upon looking it up, it was first published in 1949.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skippyboy
Member # 7600

- posted      Profile for skippyboy   Email skippyboy         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Monty Python and the Holy Grail ?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

lol gotta write an 8-10 page paper....
i have to take 2 works, find a common theme and write about it

and weve already read song of roland
ANd beowulf and the 2 lives of charlamagne lol and like 5 other books

but ill check out all of those, thanks

filmstar
Member # 8115

- posted      Profile for filmstar   Email filmstar         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to write about the Plague, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is really fab. It's about a woman who travels back in time to the fourteenth century. Won the Hugo and the Nebula.
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.