FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » decipher the publishing secrets

Author Topic: decipher the publishing secrets
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

- posted      Profile for Avery Good Schreibner           Edit/Delete Post 
So, say, just for conversations' sake, I like to write and would like to be a published author. Would I best serve myself by giving up because I am not well connected, because I am not rich and able to buy meself into the market, because I am not lucky enough to get a publisher to read what I write, or because I am not dead? After all, using van Gough as an example of someone who created his own works, not that he was a writer, people did not, apparently, like his works till he was dead. Then, collectors, museums, dealers, and the generally art minded public couldn't get enough and were willing to pay so that two of his works make the top ten list of most expensive pieces of art sold at auction. Not that I'm van Gough, but I've read the likes of Henry James, Willa Cather, Balzac, The Bronte sisters, Terry Brooks, and ... well, some of the stuff I've read (disclaimer: not that the afore mentioned are necessarily included hereafter but) makes me wonder how they got published and, if they can do it, why can't I?

There's a song in there somewhere.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to die to become famous as a writer unless you write prophecies or poetry.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been told just start submitting to reputable agents.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Uncle Orson's Writing Class link above.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to write SF&F; most of the magazines accept submissions, and it's my understanding that they pay pretty well too.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

I didn't mean for this to be about death, but there is something about death that makes an artist's (prose or paint) work come to life. I believe Emily Dickenson published a few poems during her life in local newspapers and people just didn't get it. But let her die ... well. There is hardly a literate American who doesn't know of her.

But, no, seriously. I don't believe people just submit a work and have a publisher read it let alone accept it. I think it was Ursula LeGuin who said she submitted a work under an assumed name and it was rejected. She resubmitted the same work to the same publisher under the name Ursula LeGuin and, of course, it was accepted. In my mind, they bought her name, not the work.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't believe people just submit a work and have a publisher read it let alone accept it.
Depends on where you submit. Several Hatrackers have had submissions published.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

quote:
Originally posted by Gosu:
Check out the Uncle Orson's Writing Class link above.

I found this posted by OSC: [Hail]

So if you're thinking of a career in writing, there are several things to think of before deciding whether you can do it with one particular form of writing or another. The first question, however, trumps all the others: Do you have another source of income? That makes everything much easier -- a spouse with a steady income stream; a nice inheritance large enough you can live off the interest; indulgent parents or other relatives willing to fund years of writing with no guarantee of return on investment -- any of these will do.

[Wall Bash]

GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think it was Ursula LeGuin who said she submitted a work under an assumed name and it was rejected. She resubmitted the same work to the same publisher under the name Ursula LeGuin and, of course, it was accepted. In my mind, they bought her name, not the work."

She wasn't born with the name though. Well she was of course...You know what I mean. The reason they accept works from her now is because she wrote very well before she was famous and became a popular name by writing good stuff. Publishers can't accept only published authors to publish, because if they did there wouldn't be any published authors to begin with. Does that make any sense?

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
she wrote very well before she was famous and became a popular name by writing good stuff.
Yes. Thinking of this actually makes me kind of sad, because she used to be one of my favorite authors. I find her later stuff to be unreadable. Tehanu was annoying, and Always Coming Home was one of the few books I have ever actually thrown away.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>thrown away.

Recycled, right? Or gave to a library? [Smile]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Composted, along with soiled cage bedding from my chinchilla.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Owch. Guess I won't try that one then.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Avery-- you don't need to be connected or dead to make a living as a writer.

You do need to be prolific.

Here's a really helpful hand out from the amazing Jay Lake:

Click on Jays Rules 1 1 1

Here's an excerpt:

quote:
Writing a story a week also helps improve craft. Just like going to the gym or practicing a foreign language, you get better with repetition. Consider this -- many newer writers write a story a month, as that is often the frequency at which writers' groups meet. In a year, you'd write twelve stories. At a story a week, you'd write fifty-two stories. (In my case the number seems to run into the high sixties for a variety of reasons.) If you consider twelve stories a year to be a reasonable annual output, a story a week will put you four to five years down your developmental path in one year.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Heavens, that's a good read. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a good read, thanks for the link.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Avery - it is hard to get published, but is by no means impossible.

My husband is a writer (and makes enough to be a full time writer). He has 6 books published and 3 more contracted for - he also has a really nifty file of all the rejection letters he got before a publisher finally took him on board. The book that was published first was actually the second he wrote - the first was rejected all over the place.

The secret is keep writing, keep editing, keep improving your craft and keep submitting manuscripts. And don't get discouraged by rejection!

There are also some tricks in submitting manuscripts - keep them neat, typed (seriously, some people do submit handwritten stuff) and professional.

Remember that editors will get hundreds if not thousands (or more) of manuscripts a month. They will not read them all. Most publishing houses operate a "slush pile" where unsolicited manuscripts are put. It's then the job of a junior to go through the pile, read the first sentence/paragraph of each manuscript and pull any that grab the reader's attention up front. These ones will then get read a little more (two paragraphs!) and more will be rejected.

So if your work is boring/doesn't draw the reader in from the start, it probably won't get a look in.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oh, and also - do your homework about publishing houses.

If your work is primarily SciFi/Fantasy, submit to a publisher that actually publishes that genre.

If you're writing The Next Great American Novel (TM), don't submit it to a children's literature publisher.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

One more thing - if you do get published, it doesn't mean you will make enough to write full time.

Many, many people have a full time job and are also published authors. My husband does book tours to schools which are the real basis of his income - so while he makes his money off being an author, only part of that is from the actual royalties.

Only the very lucky and very successful can write full-time and do nothing else. But that shouldn't be an impediment to trying to get published.

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference between FIRST publication and publication when you are an established name. If you're Frederik Pohl and you write an OK story, it will get published, because they can put FREDERIK POHL on the cover and sell more copies.

First-timers bring no name value. So the ONLY value they have is the value of the story itself. Plus, editors don't know their style yet, and so will be more suspicious. It's a tougher sell. Can't be helped. Thus I tell my writing students that your first sale has to be markedly above average; but after you've sold a few, especially if they get favorable attention, then all your other stories look better - because editors approach with a friendlier attitude.

However, it is not "who you know" that gets you that first sale, except in very very rare cases - which ended up leading nowhere for the writers involved. Now and then I've put cover letters on stories by friends or students, and not only doesn't it guarantee them publication (of stories I thought were good!), it doesn't even get them faster responses. Editors want to be the discoverer - they don't want somebody else to be able to claim they discovered you <grin>. So a voucher from an established author may actually be a negative - I just don't know.

But it's not a great secret - it's about writing very, very good stories that YOU care about and believe in, and then persistently sending them out until you find the editor who "gets it" and then you're on your way. Whatever that way is.

It helps if you also write very, very quickly. If you only write one short story a year, there's going to be no career there.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidB
Member # 8821

- posted      Profile for KidB   Email KidB         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sold a few stories and a number of articles. This does not require an agent - only a piece of writing that you've really worked over and polished and that grabs the reader (the editor) from the beginning. If it's good, someone will publish it.

You will not make serious money publishing short stories. Four stories and eight articles in the last few years has netted me maybe $800. But it is wonderful thing to do just the same, and you can build up a resume.

Very important: when submitting to magazines and journals, start with the biggest names and work down. Do not start at the bottom!

Do not put a "copyright" on a manuscript - no one will look at it, and it doesn't protect you anyway.

Buy the writer's market, and follow the cover-letter format exactly. It works!

Books, you need an agent or a connection.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Do not put a "copyright" on a manuscript - no one will look at it, and it doesn't protect you anyway.
You have intrinsic copyright in what you write, with or without a copyright sign.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I always put the notice on my novels, never on my short stories, makes no difference. The fact that it's copyrighted doesn't change anything - the publisher is going to LICENSE the copyright FROM you, so if you didn't have it, they couldn't license it, could they? <grin>. The only reason not to put the notice on a manuscript is so that they don't realize that you've been sending this sucker around for five years.

imogen is right - copyright is there the second the words hit the paper, with or without the notice.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

Well, thanks for all your responses. Very interesting thoughts.

By the way, Scott R. do or did you write at Hatrack River - 1830's?

I have been reading from practically all genre's for many years. One of my favorite authors currently, right after Mr. Card, is Salman Rushdie. [Big Grin]

I have also been writing for several years. I have been averaging about 15 short stories and a few poems a year. I also have two jobs and a full time family. So, that's about all the story writing I can muster without having people come search for me to do some dad or husband things. (I hate dry walling by the way.)

I have managed one novel I'd love to get back to to edit, and I like writing on the Hatrack River 1830's web site. It's just so much fun. [Cool] I have had some poems published at poetry.com and in those anthologies of "the best emerging new writers" blah blah blah. I have also published stories in the Taj Mahal Review and at web magazines. None of them pay, though.

I originally posted "Would I best serve myself by giving up because I am not well connected, because I am not rich and able to buy myself into the market, because I am not lucky enough to get a publisher to read what I write, or because I am not dead?" It sounds like those who have responded would say, generally speaking, yes in answer.

I did, I believe, forget one other excuse. Maybe, I don't submit enough.

It's may also be true, my writing could just su** - er - stink. But have you read Balzac or Henry James lately?

imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Would I best serve myself by giving up because I am not well connected, because I am not rich and able to buy myself into the market, because I am not lucky enough to get a publisher to read what I write, or because I am not dead?"
No. Not if you really want to be a writer.

Don't give up. But make sure your expectations are realistic. Most writers don't end up as successful as say, our host. Let alone the poster-child for making money by writing, JK Rowling.

Scott R
Member # 567

>>do or did you write at Hatrack River - 1830's?

DID. I was Joshua, the Beekeeper.

Now I waste my writing time by writing in PBEM RPGs.

[Smile]

Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

I feel like singing.

Ahem.

"Dead in the water, dead in the water
All my writing's dead in the water

Like a passage from the pen of a water nymph
All my good thoughts tend to sail away, sail away
Just icy chunks I martyred by my careless pen
All good thoughts shot dead with bad prose words, bad prose words

Oh! dead in the water dead in the wa-a-a-ater.
Flush!" [Hat]

PBEM RPGs? Sounds like something kids squish between slices of bread.

Scott R
Member # 567

Play-By-EMail Role Playing Games.

Here's an Example.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.