FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Member numbers

Author Topic: Member numbers
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I was noticing that I am member number 8749. I found it mildly amusing that OSC was relegated to 209. I'll have to keep an eye out for those who got their numbers before our favorite author [Smile] sorry if this seems to be a very random post.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us have been around forever, but don't like low numbers.

Some of us just joined.

Some of us have lurked for years.

Welcome aboard.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
In the beginning, there were a Hatrack River townhall meetings.

This begat the first iteration of this forum, which eventually yielded to the current iteration.

At that point, all the existing members got moved over and assigned member numbers randomly (maybe not randomly but due to some arbitrary factor). So every member with a number lower than ~300 has been here since the beginning.

At least, that's my understanding. YMMV.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't entirely random. They were moved over in batches, and are alphabetical within each batch.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Alphabetically?
So does that mean if I picked a username that began with A, I would have had a much lower number?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Look at ak. [Big Grin]

BTW, there was a "beginning" before Hatrack River @ AOL.

Some of us remember the Prodigy days. (Although it was not called Hatrack then.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I was on AOL in the beginning. Never posted, but have lurked for a mighty long time.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there were two alphabetical batches. The second half of the alphabet was assigned lower member numbers than the first. ak was evidently at the very beginning of the first half, and I was at the very very end of the second half. So my number is one higher than hers. [Smile]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
There weren't two alphabetical batches. There was one, including users #1-#121, and in the ASCII system capital letters come before lowercase. Members who registered manually begin at #122, with Tom at #124 and a previous incarnation of me at #125 being the oldest still active.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my member number. It's so. . . consecutive. [Smile]
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You should think about a hatrack giveaway involving the account that's your previous incarnation.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post with it one time on this thread just so we can see it?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Moose
Member # 125

- posted      Profile for Uncle Moose   Email Uncle Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
Posts: 114 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Ooooh, it still has that new user smell!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Well, in slightly over two years, I had barely 100 posts (I think it was 107, and I've posted a couple times here and there since). In just over a year after that, I had 1,000 as Papa Moose (at which point I unintentionally started the landmark tradition [blatant plug]), so yeah -- it's like I drove Uncle Moose just to the store and back, and Papa was my commuting screenname. Of course, I don't commute as far as (for example) TomD.

--Pop

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
...glad this isn't...

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several different memberships, because I kept forgetting my password. This was before cookies. I have no idea whether this was the oldest one; the others may have been deleted since I finally committed to this one.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
*posts to check her member number*

oo I like it, all even numbers AND 2*4 is 8!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my first registration I lost either the password or my mind... I can't even remember that far back.. but I reregistered and this is my number. (I'm still sticking with the story of losing my PW rather than my mind!)
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
*posts to check his*

I used to have 5800 . . . I liked it because it was a multiple of one-hundred . . .

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
6991 . . . hm . . . 9 and 1 make 10, leaving 69 . . . [Blushing]

Er . . . 1 and 6 produce 7, the strongest number for arithmancers, and then there's a 99 . . . which 1 less than 100 . . . let's say we subtract that from the 7, giving us a 6 . . . then we'll retrieve our original 6 in duplicate using a 0 as a time travel device . . . voila! 1066, year of the Battle of Hastings!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.