FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Favorite (and least favorite) interview questions

Author Topic: Favorite (and least favorite) interview questions
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what questions Mr. Card has most enjoyed answering in his dealings with the press and fans.

And which (besides this one) he has least enjoyed answering.

Oh, and why...of course.

I know he's talked about some of this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So if this is a repeat, I'll delete in exchange for a link to the prior discussion.

Also, since this is a discussion board, of course, maybe it'd be interesting to speculate on what types of questions would be most and least pleasing to an author.

I personally would think that the "how do you come up with your ideas" question would really bug me. I'd probably try to give silly answers to it.

I've been interviewed by the press a few times and my least favorite questions are usually the ones that show the person hasn't spent much time thinking about the issue. I really enjoy a challenge, although sometimes on the spur of the moment I give the wrong answer. And that kind of stinks because then I feel like I should've spent more time thinking about it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And which (besides this one) he has least enjoyed answering.
"Why do you hate gay people"

Just a guess. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.
Yeah, I wonder if he's actually been asked that in a formal interview. I suspect he has a good answer, though, to something that rude and that direct. Starting with "I don't" and moving on from there...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Any question that attempts to use me as a means of attacking Mormonism will end an interview on the spot. But then, the kinds of questioners who do that are a waste of time anyway - I'm pickier these days about which interviews I'll do.

Favorite questions? The ones that surprise me and make me think about an interesting subject before I can answer. But NOT if they're hugely open-ended questions where the answer would have to be a whole book. I like questions that are specific.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Any examples of good questions? Ones you really enjoyed at the time?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this one among them?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How will teleportation affect cultural mores?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It depends entirely on which room of the house the teleportation device is installed in.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And hopefully, that's not the bathroom because, well, *ew!*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, y'know, if it's the kind of teleportation which takes you from one earth to the next, it better be the bathroom!

(OSC, where did you put that story? "The Folds of Earth" or some such? Or do I have the wrong author?)

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think my least favorite interview question, if I were Mr. Card, would be:

"You know, some people say that Fantasy and Science-Fiction are not real genres to be dabbled in when searching for respectable literature. What do you, a mainly Fantasy and Sci-Fi writer, have to say on the matter?"

If I were in such a position, and I was told that the pieces of writing I've spent my whole life producing weren't "respectable literature," I'd probably strangle the interviewer.

But that is just me.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think, with the way you've phrased that question, it would be one that Card would dislike. You're being too respectful, and Card has a perfect opportunity to inform you that these people are elitest morons.

Now if you asked it like this, I think he would strangle you. "Don't you feel you're wasting your time writing books with no actual merit?"

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually get that "why does sci-fi suck?" question all the time - in different guises. I answer cheerfully, in the hopes that while the interviewer is beyond help, if I'm quoted accurately perhaps someone else will change his or her view.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always quote Theodore Sturgeon's Law: "90% of anything is crap."

I find this to be true in all genres.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMojoDriver
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for MrMojoDriver   Email MrMojoDriver         Edit/Delete Post 
OK I'm a noob to this forum, so I'm more than likely about to commit some Hatrack River taboo, but here goes nothing...

Orson, will you make a sequel to Children of the Mind in which you reveal to us the mysteries of the Descaladores?

I started reading your books in the Enderverse first, and have read most of your other novels since then, but that is the one loose end that haunts me...

Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
MrMojoDriver, try starting that question in a new thread (it will be more likely to get answered). Good luck and welcome.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I've decided my favorite question will be (note the future tense):

"So, Bob, oh, I can call you Bob, can't I? Yes? Thanks! Anyway, would you care to tell us just how you went about negotiating the largest advance in publishing history?"

To which my answer would be:

"Of course not!"

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My question to ask Bob once he gets famouser (and since we're close enough that he'll know I'm kidding):

Bob, can I have your secret for how to stay looking so young?

You know, seeing as how you're not using it....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite question will be:

So, Jaime, can you tell us how you managed to end world hunger, create world peace, take over the world and have the entire population submit to you and become your slaves, cure cancer, and negotiate a larger advance in the publishing industry than previous record-holder Bob Scopatz?

You guys think too small.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to questions that start with "Where do you get off saying."
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"You know what your problem is?" Is always sure to lead to a good dialog too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL] Noemon

Hey PM, it's no secret: Immaturity.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey PM, it's no secret: Immaturity.
...well, except that he's says you're not using it...so it can't be that...... [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Can so!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Children, do I have to pull this forum over?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we there yet?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are pretty good interview questions, too.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I could sit and think all day and not come up with anything worthwhile to ask anyone at a book signing. Just not the right rhetorical situation.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
What about, "will you sign this book?"
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. That just sounds too cliche to me. You figure the author's probably heard that a hundred times already. [Razz]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Give or take.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
And hopefully, that's not the bathroom because, well, *ew!*

Unless it transports stuff away, instead of flushing it away, in which case, I'm all for it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Tante...don't forget, however, that it has to transport it SOMEWHERE...as The trouble with Tribbles amply demonstrated, it's not always good to be on the receiving end of a transporter beam.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Tante...don't forget, however, that it has to transport it SOMEWHERE...

Yeah. Somewhere ELSE.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
It depends entirely on which room of the house the teleportation device is installed in.

[ROFL]

Imagine the possibilities. Dear god.

Bob: I am not familiar with your work, I don't even know really what you do; haven't been around long enough to know why you get interviewed (aside from your bracing wit). Can you fill in the unenlightened ones?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.