FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Minor contardiciton between Game and Shadow

Author Topic: Minor contardiciton between Game and Shadow
Joey
Member # 8742

- posted      Profile for Joey           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice that the colors for launchies were changed in Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow? ANd Petra made it seem ike they were always Green Brown Green (or was it Brown Green Brown?). Those colors were in fact Salmander army's colors!
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, who notices that kind of stuff?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
There are alot of those little inconsistencies to notice: For example, "They keep Aros at Full Gravity," in Shadow, whereas Game says 2/3rds earth normal or something like that. Its funny that the story of Bean works in so unbeleivably flawlessly with Ender's and yet card made these obvious blunders.

Despite that, I don't have the book in front of me, but I seem to recall that you are mistaken: Petra's Salamander army IS Green Brown Green, whereas BEANs launch group is Brown Green Brown, so your confusion is obvious.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
In the final book Bean's son will travel back in time and decrease the battle school gravity and change team colors, thereby creating the Enderverse.

(If you want to complain about continuity watch the Highlander movies.)

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
If you notice an error like this, can't you just fix it in your mind as you read? I assume the story doesn't turn on any of these errors.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember a slight contradiction just in Enders game with Ender or someone referring to something that happened in Salamander as something that happened in Rat. Or something small like that. I have an old edition so it might've been fixed. But the little errors dont' seem to me to be that big of a deal. And I seem to vaguely remember something about OSC mentioning that discrepencies between Game and Shadow came as a result of them being from being from different memories. As in Game comes from Ender and Shadow comes from Bean so, as in any story that is retold from a different perspective, there will be slight differences. Or something :-)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the colour difference but I thought it was done on purpose. *shrug* it doesn't really affect the story...anyway I just figured they could have changed the launchy colours every now and again.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize these things are mostly not important, but its hard to tie those details together I think...

I do remember this quote "a commander NEVER succeeds to the command the army he served as a tune leader..." and then later in Enders game, Dink succeeded Rose the Nose as leader of Rat.... hmmmmm

AND YES, I can fix it in my mind, but its like a scab that's fun to pick at

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender is color blind so his browns and greens are often confused.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
EG, page 68:
quote:
Ender took it from him. ENDER WIGGIN ASSIGNED SALAMANDER ARMY COMMANDER BONZO MADRID EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY CODE GREEN GREEN BROWN
ES, page 97:
quote:
They piled out to form a line in the corridor. " Green Brown Green ," said Dimak, and showed them how those lines on the corridor walls would always lead them back to ..."
It makes sense to use colors more than once. How many armies were up there? If you use three colors in a certain sequence, it allows for more color combinations. No doubt there's also a launchy group "green brown brown" and an army "brown green brown", etc.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.