FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Best Messiah recording

Author Topic: Best Messiah recording
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Marissen gave a talk at Swarthmore college Wednesday about this piece as a fortaste of his sure-to-be-controversial book he's about to publish about it.

I asked him (or rather, I asked my father who asked him) what his favorite recording is. He said "For me, the best Messiah cd by far is the one on Archiv by Paul McCreesh and the Gabrieli Consort." I suppose that would make it at least worth a look.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, any plans to satisfy people's curiosity on your One of These Women Is Not Like the Other thread?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cats, Noemon has over 10,000 posts!

Who's Michael Marissen?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
If OSC is interesting in a Fantabulous recording of the Messiah there is a BRAND new one that has been released by my teacher at UC davis, and the conductor of the American Bach soloists here in California, Jeffrey Thomas. The ABS are very well known for their professionalism, skill and accuracy of representation. This recording was also done at the acoustically most advanced building on the west coast, the Mondavi Center, which is equipt with a resonator in ever seat bottom to produce an extraordinarily clear quality in the music from anywhere in the hall.

I am dissapointed to hear of the bad experience with counter-tenors, if the countertenor line is executed by one equal to the task, the tone quality should be spectacular, and very different from an alto, but equally pleasing, not distracting.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I looooove the London Philharmonic version. Two CDs, a full more-than-two-and-a-half hours of Handel's Messiah. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

yah, go London Phil, they're always good
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, I suppose if the countertenor is well-done, I'm not particularly aware of his countertenorosity, and thus don't count it. So it may only be mediocre countenors that I'm weary of hearing ... or maybe not <grin>.

I will definitely acquire the Jeffrey Thomas/ABS version. Thanks for the recommendation. [edit: In fact, I just ordered it from Amazon.]

AutumnFire: The Gabrieli Consort version was given to me after I wrote my column. It is, indeed, gorgeous - flawless, in truth. I don't know that the interpretation is the "best" (what would that be?) but it is certainly pleasing, and the performances are all excellent. It may just be as close to the perfect performance as one can achieve.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana and I just sang in the Messiah in a community chorus. I purchased a copy of the recording. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be the BEST version of Messiah I have appeared on to date.

[Wink]

We had some amazing soloists. And we had a lot of fun.

I'm not sure any recording could actually top the experience of singing this piece. But then, I'm on a total high from today's performance.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>If OSC is interesting in a Fantabulous recording of the Messiah<<

:snicker:

In my opinion, OSC is interesting ALL the time, not just when he's singing contralto. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Got our CD of the Council Bluffs Messiah Chorus performance in which we had parts (in the Chorus, not soloists).

I have to say, this recording came out great! I'm sure a professional group could do it better, but I'm just amazed at how good we sound on this. It's wonderful.

I'm so glad we did it.

[Big Grin]

And, having been in it, I am now interested in listening to other recordings. I think I could appreciate them more now than I could've before.

Handel = genius.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
>>If OSC is interesting in a Fantabulous recording of the Messiah<<

:snicker:

In my opinion, OSC is interesting ALL the time, not just when he's singing contralto. . .

So cheep... So cheep Scott.

Actually I went to the most recent ABS performance of Messiah last week, and there was an alto (female) singing the countertenor line, but this time two male altos singing the alto duet. Excuisitely performed on period instruments or period copies. and INTERESTING TOO!!!!

Orincoro
Member # 8854

ps. I think a contralto is a female tenor, a countertenor is more closely Identified with a male alto
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So what do they call a female baritone, then? Other than freak, that is. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Sexy
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ex-smoker, maybe?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sexy it is, then. [Cool]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.