FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Women of Genesis

Author Topic: Women of Genesis
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any chance that we'll see other biblical women, like Miriam, Ruth, Hannah or Deborah?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be silly but most of those don't qualify as "Women of Genesis."

But they'd be interesting reads none the less

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, they're descended from Women of Genesis, no? That's got to count for something. Or in the case of Ruth, closely related.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, they're descended from Women of Genesis, no? That's got to count for something.
If you're going that route, isn't everybody?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

Ruth is/was a Moabite

Not all that closely related.

But the stories of Ruth and Ester are pretty powerful love stories though.

Like I said definitely interesting reads.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Pretty darn closely. She was descended from Lot.
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

Not to be snide but could i get a reference of some kind to back that up? couldn't find any geneology in the beginning of Ruth (NIV trans)

The moabites were lower on the Isrealite forgien social ladder than samaritans

Edit just reread the story of Lot and saw the name of one of lot's grandsons was moab. So yes genetically related but culturally its a stretch to really call her a "woman of genesis" of the type OSC has already profiled.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
And the LORD said unto me, Distress not the Moabites, neither contend with them in battle: for I will not give thee of their land for a possession; because I have given Ar unto the children of Lot for a possession. (KJV) -Deut. 2:9

from the Catholic Encylopedia:
quote:
In the Old Testament, the word Moab designates (1) a son of Lot by his elder daughter (Genesis 19:37); (2) the people of whom this son of Lot is represented as the ancestor (Exodus 15:15, etc.), and who are also called "the Moabites" (Genesis 19:37); and possibly (3) the territory occupied by the Moabites (Numbers 21:11).

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there really a ladder? You are either Israelite or not? I don't get the impression that Jews look on Ruth with the disdain you imply. (directed at ML)
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Didn't see your edit, Matt. Anyway, I think that just because OSC is writing a "Women of Genesis" series doesn't mean he can't write more novels on Biblical women outside of Genesis. I for one would love to see novels on Esther or Ruth!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

Pooka....it wasn't as structured as "ladder" might insinuate but it was there.

Notice in the story of Ruth how important it was that Ruth left behind her people and followed Naomi. Ruth knew the price she would pay for her dedication.

Look again at part where Boaz notices Ruth. It is very clear to every one that she was a "moabitess" Being a forigner in every bible story "screams" outcast primarily because of a difference in religion. Though granted the opening of Ruth makes it clear that Ruth makes the decision to follow the Jewish faith.

TO uprooted yeah I wish this forum had an Edited Time stamp function.

But if you read my earlier posts, you'll see I don't see a problem with other stories they just wouldn't fit nicely under the heading "women of genesis"

Lisa
Member # 8384

Ladder for sure, actually. Moabite and Ammonite men weren't allowed to convert ever, under any circumstances. They're the only ones with that restriction.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Deseret Book and I are discussing other novels after the W of G.

The way it's looking now, though, I can either write novels or teach college classes. Doesn't look like I can do both. I hope I do better next semester. Otherwise, the teaching has to end, and that would break my heart.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you've already considered this, but could you hire a driver and do both?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 8401

- posted      Profile for johnbrown           Edit/Delete Post 
But, but, but...isn't writing part of the job? Is it the commute or the fact that when you write you need to focus totally on that project or something else?
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't consider moving nearer to the college? Or teach one semester a year?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.