FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadow of Grandeur

Author Topic: Shadow of Grandeur
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

- posted      Profile for Eva Scrye   Email Eva Scrye         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as I'm still early in my film career (only 3-months into my film course actually), I am still at a stage where I do not realize the realistic limitations of my abilities.

Hence, it has become a bit of a holy grail to me to create an hour-long drama of the Shadow book series.

Personally I think it has all of the right essentials to make an awesome progressive drama. Of course it has the amazingly interesting characters, engaging and semi-realistic storyline, dashes of sci-fi for the geeks, a large cast with plenty of room for "favourites", and a long enough timeline to fill several seasons.

Anyone think it could work? And, of course, I'd be honoured to hear the opinion of Mr. Card himself ^_-.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds an awful lot like copyright infringement. Mr. Card doesn't even allow anybody to write fan fiction based on his characters.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

Hehe, no no, of course I wouldn't do it without his permission and, ideally, participation. Besides, on studio or broadcaster would ever allow it withot proper clearance.

Rest assured, I'm not intending to just *do* this without going through the proper channels.

But I'm more interested to hear if people think it would work from a conceptual standpoint.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for a class? I did this when I was applying to the theatre/ film major for a class -- You find a text and give it a treatment as if you were a wannabe hollywood producer.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for a class? I did this when I was applying to the theatre/ film major for a class -- You find a text and give it a treatment as if you were a wannabe hollywood producer.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

No, it's not, although we have done similar things in my course.

But no, I'm just wondering about whether people think it would work. What would have to change? How could the characters be portrayed? Just out of interest, really. I'm not trying to get you guys to do my work for me, really ^_^

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
An hour-long version would be like the one-man Star Wars - hilarious, but only to those who already know the full story.

There's a limit to how far you can cut a story down and still have it make sense or achieve any kind of emotional impact.

That's quite apart from the fact that the Ender's Game deal with Warner includes, as all movie contracts do, the rights to sequels and characters. There will be no Shadow movies using any characters who appear in Ender's Game, without the consent and participation of Warner Bros. - if they exercise the option and make the Ender movie.

So ... please don't waste another moment thinking of doing a version of the Shadow series at ANY length.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

Ah, well I wasn't thinking of this within the realms of copyrights and licensing, as much as thinking of it as something I'd *love* to watch, and thus, love to create.

But I guess that's the consensus, is that it would not work for a variety of reasons, primarily the depth of backstory.

Though I am a little flattered that anyone considered myself in any position to consider actually *doing* this... As I suggested in the thread title... it's just a shadow of grandeur ^_-

EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An hour-long version would be like the one-man Star Wars - hilarious, but only to those who already know the full story.
I think when Eva Scrye said "hour-long drama," she was referring to the type of television series she would like to develop (as opposed to a "half-hour sitcom.") She mentioned that there was "a long enough timeline to fill several seasons."

A Shadow TV series, filled with good-looking teens out to take over the world, might fit well into the WB network's youth-oriented programming. [Wink]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender in the OC? Haha, that is both funny and scary, mostly scary.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
With music from popular yet affordable new bands!

On the next very special "Shadow of Grandeur":
Ender kills another boy. How will he and the other kids from the BS deal with this? With a special guest appearance by Rodney Dangerfield.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

Haha.... *sigh* I guess that's how it would end up, wouldn't it? Could be worse I suppose... The WB is a relatively good network.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Relative to...educational access programming?

I mean, they have a couple fairly interesting shows...but nothing particularly good IMO.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

Well, I guess the only show I watch on the WB is Smallville. I don't even get the channel...

Hehe, so I shouldn't have commented.

Oh well, Smallville's still quite good.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.