FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Speaking with the Dead

Author Topic: Speaking with the Dead
dmo2386
Member # 9000

- posted      Profile for dmo2386   Email dmo2386         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Enders Game and I have a burning question...Why and how does Ender speak with the dead? The book just says he (and other people) start speaking for the dead, but doesnt explain how they get this ability.

Someone please explain...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, good question--that would be a good name for the new novel--Ender's Seance.

I'd read the rest of the books, but he speaks FOR the dead, not to them. Rather like historians, who try to uncover the voices of people who are dead.

Except with the Hive Queen, who isn't dead.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmo2386
Member # 9000

- posted      Profile for dmo2386   Email dmo2386         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah gotcha...so how does he telepathically talk to the Hive Queen?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm . . . read Speaker for the Dead. And Xenocide.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOL 3Earth
Member # 8913

- posted      Profile for MOL 3Earth   Email MOL 3Earth         Edit/Delete Post 
he telepathically speaks to her by the philotic threads, or something like that. philotic link? something philotic. anyway, she will think something 'into' his mind and it comes out usually as words(since ender would understand that best) but they also come across as emotions or images. they basically think to eachother but since humans arent used to it he even has a hard time at it and the hive queen doesnt understand everything he 'says' since he thinks in words and she sometimes doesnt know the meaning of things. it is kinda hard to explain, i would definatley suggest speaker for the dead and xenocide
Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the hive queens who are able to communicate with Ender. He can't initiate it; it isn't an ability he has. THEY were able to speak to him only because he focused so much on them (and they on him) that a philotic link was forged. But even between them, communication is halting and difficult. Humans (in that universe) just ain't built to be telepaths.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.