FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » *Grin* loaned out another copy of Ender's Game

Author Topic: *Grin* loaned out another copy of Ender's Game
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This time it wasn't a signed copy at least. I loaned it to a coworker, who is far more sympathetic to my sci-fi habit than others. They are currently homeschooling their kids because of a severe nut allergy, however both are gifted as well. I've been giving him book reccomendations for the kids every now and then. Anyway I loaned him Ender's game to get him out of the schlock that is Dan Brown.

His pronouncement, even though he was only a few chapters in? "It's everything you said it was. Just perfect!"
[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
*high fives BannaOj*

I just loaned out Seventh Son yesterday, and he called today to say he's three chapters in and wanted to discuss it already. And wanted to be sure I have Red Prophet waiting. And Prentice Alvin. That oughta hold him a few days.

I have made another Alvin Maker fan. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've loaned out so much OSC that my collection stands at about half strength. The only Alvin books I still have are Seventh Son and Heartfire.

I spent about 50 of my 100 B&N gift certificate dollars replacing the rest, including a remaindered copy of Crystal City.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I love people who lend my books. And NOT just because so often they're not returned and you have to buy another <grin>. Lent books are how writers find new readers. May your tribes increase ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm terribly selfish with your books now, ever since lending Lost Boys to my mother and losing it for 6 years.

Although, that's probably the right amount of time between readings.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
At least. [Wink] And definitely not long enough, if you happen to have an almost-eight-year-old son.

I really loved that book, BTW, I'm just not going to wear it out like I did Enchantment. It's too close to home.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
loaning books can be rather good for authors...since it gets people hooked. [Smile]

I found Goodkind because my aunt loaned me WFR.

I first read OSC when I picked up Xenocide off my parent's bookshelf. Though, I didn't really get hooked until I read his short story in the first Legends anthology. Thats when I went out and bought all the Ender and Alvin Maker books.

Legends was a rather good idea...it helped me find several authors I hadn't read before...not because I hadn't heard of them, I just never got around to reading there stuff.

I never would have thought to pick up King's Darktower series, Feist's riftwar books, or Card's Alvin Maker books if I hadn't read the stories in Legends first.

Though, while the second Legends was OK, I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I've stopped lending EG out, I just give it away now.

I'm reading Legends now, I hope it gets better than what King has going right now.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
In my decade of loving Card I have owned over twenty five copies of EG, and at this very moment, I have in my possession not a single one (okay, one copy of Ender's War). I always "lend" them, or just cop to reality and give them away. I really only miss the hardbacks.

I've converted a lot of people to the OSC tribe, but I'm only returning the favor, as I was converted exactly the same way (God bless you Sandy Kasinski).

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a report on Pastwatch a couple weeks ago in class, and so far I've lent it out twice as a result.

I also have lost copies of my "borrowed" Ender books somewhere along the line...but for me, any excuse to buy more books is always welcome!

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I do this thing where i go to the used book stores in town and buy out every copy ocasionally - not so much that im the only one buying it, but enough that I can give out lots of coppies to friends and colleagues.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, of the 141 copies of Ender's Game listed in the Hawaii State Public Library catalog, 37 of them are "lost." :-)
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
I've stopped lending EG out, I just give it away now.

Amen.

Pity a tax break doesn't come with the investment. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone thinks I'm a crackpot, so they don't take me seriously when I recommend books.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone Wolf: what is this "Ender's War" you speak of and where can I find it? or borrow it, i suppose...
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everyone thinks I'm a crackpot, so they don't take me seriously when I recommend books."

Same here.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead in one book.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Now that I think about it, I first read EG when someone in my dorm loaned it to me.

So now that he's finished EG, and liked it, do I give him Ender's Shadow or Speaker for the Dead next? I'm leaning towards Speaker because I have a paperback of it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Speaker. Shadow goes off on another tangent. In other words, read all the Ender/Andrew books first, and then go back and read the Bean books.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Speaker, definitely.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

He's not ready for another long book yet. (And I have to give him credit, if it took me as long to read a book as it took him, I'd probably never read) What I can go through in an evening, took him two weeks. So I've decided.

He's getting First Meetings.

AJ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.